How can I help my dog, who suffers extreme anxiety problems?

My 3 year old german shepherd mutt has always had separation anxiety problems, but recently we took her to the vet to have her spayed, and it has increased horribly. She cannot stand to be out of my room for more than a few minutes, and will whine and pace until someone lets her inside. Also, she is not eating or drinking. The first day or two after we brought her home, we fed her canned dog food so it would be easier for her to digest until she recovered more. She ate it for the first few days, but now she won't even look at it. This morning, I called her back in after she walked away from it and she got scared and urinated all over the floor. She has never done ANY of this before. I'm worried because I know she's not getting the nourishment she needs, and my family keeps telling me that she'll eat and drink when she's hungry enough, but she hasn't gone near either bowl these past few days. I tried looking online for some guidance, but I haven't found anything helpful.

Asked by Member 1136663 on Oct 19th 2012 Tagged separationaxiety, fear, extremeanxiety in Separation Anxiety

Answers

She needs to go to the vet asap if she is not eating or drinking for days.

Jasmine

Get her to the vet. She could be having complications from the surgery. A dog in pain will exhibit all the symptoms you mention. She may have an infection or a tear. Heck they could have forgotten a sponge or instrument inside during the surgery. These things tho rare can happen.

Jasmine answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer