Roxy

How can I get Roxy to stop guarding me around other dogs?

Roxy is quite attatched to me. She gets along well with all people and has never been aggressive toward any people. However, when we go to the dog park, it's a different story. She will bark very loudly at other dogs and even got in a fight there last night that the other owner and I had to break up. I have noticed that she is more aggressive when other dogs approach me, particularly if they are running or hyper near me. She does not like it when another dog comes to me for attention, and will do everything possible to wedge her body in between me and the other dog, as if to make it known that I am "hers". She will let people approach me without this kind of aggression. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior?

Asked by Roxy on Feb 26th 2009 Tagged guarding in Behavior & Training

Answers

Do you feel threatened by the dogs that Roxy takes issue at?...No?...Then there is no reason for her to be guarding you!...This sounds like a case of dog reactivity to me...Your best bet is to look into a good positive reinforcement trainer with a good grip on dog behavior...Better to find an actual behaviorist but they can be hard to come by.

Sounds like several things. Lack of early socialization, treating her as a human baby, lack of exercise, like taking her for walks, lack of obedience. The dog has to be respectful of other dogs, children and you.
Some dogs feel the need to protect you from others. But if she is wedging herself like that near you then she is fear aggressive. She is biting or wanting to bit out of fear and feels extremely threatened. You can also feed this by giving her the wrong kind of reinforcements. Grabbing her yelling at her petting her. It will take alot to correct this problem.