how can i get my shih tzu to stop peeing an pooping in my son's room?

My 5 yr old shih tzu was our first baby. 4 yrs later we have 2 children and not as much time with him as we once did. We are constantly on the go, but we love our dog and our children love him as well, but he keeps peeing and pooping in my daughter and son's room. How do i stop this?

Asked by Member 870868 on Aug 25th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Rusty

Easiest way would be to limit his access - if he can't get in there, he can't relieve himself in there.

Beyond that, I would need some more information to be able to understand the circumstances under which he pees and poops there - does he need to go and you're not available to take him out? Or is there some territory marking involved? Could it be separation anxiety? All of these could be involved. Obviously, the solution depends on which problem we are dealing with.

Rusty answered on 8/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boo

You might have a tough one there. It sounds alot like the pup has jealousy/attention issues since the kids came along. Try getting your pooch outside for more potty breaks, walks , training and attention. First do the walks sans kids, then start bringing them along too.

Is your pup protective of the kids? Does the pup play well with them?

Not sure what condition your bedroom rug is in, but if there is a trace of scent, the pup will continue going in there. Deep clean and deodorize the carpeting, or remove it outright, then reinforce the outside potty rule.

Sometimes restricting a dogs access to a room may help, but often times it backfires too. A dog may sneak into a restricted room to mark their territory even more so when they don't have access.

I'm no "trainer" by any means, but after owning a shih tzu, I do know they can be pretty funny about holding little grudges sometimes when they think they've been slighted.

Boo answered on 8/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Limit his freedom for a while until he has reviewed toilet training successfully. Make your children's rooms off limits. His toileting in there is very disrespectful and should not be tolerated.
Make sure he has a consistant schedule that includes feeding twice a day, play and a walk twice or three times a day to go potty. Praise him everytime he does something right! If he is sneaking into the rooms while you are home, but busy with the kids, he may need a method of asking to go out that you and he are comfortable with. Try a set of bells on the door, it worked great for Pepper!