Riley

How can I get my dog to stay calm around other dogs?

I have a golden retriever who is around 9 months old. She's very friendly, and she doesn't bite, but she gets really happy when she sees other dogs and tends to jump. The problem is, she doesn't realize her size, and even though she's around 70 pounds, she'll jump on little 8 pound dogs and I'm worried she'll hurt them. Even bigger dogs - my neighbor brought his dog over the other day to meet her and she scratched him by accident. How can I get her to stop getting too excited around other dogs? She's getting big and when I take her to the park, she pulls her leash to the other dogs and I can barely hold her back because she's so strong.

Asked by Riley on May 3rd 2012 in Socialization

Answers

Ember FDX

She needs training, an outlet for her friendly energy, and appropriate socialization.

Training: She shouldn't be dragging you around on leash. You need to start with the basics, getting and keeping her attention, and rewarding her for staying with you rather than doing whatever she wants.

Outlet: The more dogs like her that she can safely interact and play with, the less driven she will feel to get any contact at all from any other dog.

Socialization: She needs to learn that not all dogs are like her. Just because she can be playful sometimes with certain dogs, does not mean she can be playful all the time and with everyone.

Most puppy classes are centered around these issues. Since she's 9mo and 70lb, she may need a regular obedience course and admittance to playgroups or daycare. It depends on the training facilities in your area and what they have to offer. Look for positive trainers who promote guidance, rewarding good behavior rather than punishing unwanted behavior

Ember FDX answered on 5/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

We had a Golden that was the same way until age 10. We had to exercise him until he was very tired. He was just very happy and he would literally love you to death. LOLOL Just work on her focus with you and exercise her a lot. We used to swim him and have him retrieve his ball for 40 minutes to an hour (when it wasn't hot outside) every day. Some dogs grow out of it as they mature. Hopefully your's will. Good Luck with her!