Angel

How can i get my dog to get along with other pets? (PLEASE HELP)

As a puppy Angel was nice other animals. Now she is 6 years and has killed our neighbor's dog and cat. She even took on a malmute and won the fight. She will fight with any dog, any size. Now we've moved and gotten a cat. Because of Angel we can't let the cat loose in the house. Our cat is in my room and we can only take her out when Angel is in the backyard. Plus we added a pet gate so Angel can't get to the door. Also Angel isn't just aggressive on her property. How do we get her to get along with our cat and be calm around dogs?

Asked by Angel on Jan 21st 2009 Tagged dog, angel, aggressive, aggression, cat, behavior, attack, attacked, mean, dominate, protective, puppy, bark, growl, bite, scratch in Aggression

Answers

~Emma~ RL1

I'm confused, you got a cat. Did you already know she was aggressive towards animals? She's already killed a neighbor cat!

Because of Angel, you should have not gotten the cat.

This is going to take some really hard work on your part. You really should see a behaviorist. They can give you a plan of action. It is going to be hard to explain in 1000 characters of less.

Management, which it sounds like you are doing, should be the first step. You will need to start a desensitization, and counter conditioning plan. It can/does work. Like I said it will take work, but it will be worth it.
Time, patience, and perseverance. Just because our puppies grow up, does not mean we stop training and socializing them. Good Luck!! If you have any questions please PM.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 1/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm going to be frank with you because I believe that, in this case, it's the best way to help you

So, keep in mind that what I say isn't personal, I'm being as honest as possible and I only want to help you and Angel..

You have the worst case scenario in a dog. Your dog is aggressive to the point where she is a danger to other animals and also possibly people. (Though you don't say she's been aggressive towards people, it's only a small step and it's very possible that can happen.)

First, in order to help Angel and yourselves, you need to first stop being in denial about her aggression. I believe that you ARE in denial, otherwise you wouldn't have brought a cat into the home.

Second, you need professional help. Hiring a trainer and/or a behaviorist is the ONLY way you can turn this problem around. Nobody here can give you the "right" combination of tools to help your dog. This is a very serious problem that needs prof. guidance.

I wish you the best of luck.

"She even took on a malmute and won the fight."
Sounds like you are proud of that & the fact that she will fight dogs of any size...& then you get a cat knowing she kills cats?
I'd say you need to get serious about your problem & hire a behaviorist!
How is she killing neighborhood dogs & cats anyway?...I hope you don't let her roam free especially knowing her issues!

What i don't get, it why you bought the cat when you knew Angel was aggresive, and would most likely harm your cat..
I agree with the others, get a behaviorist and keep the cat safe, and Angel away from animals.
Any chance you can get her a muzzle?

Mags

Oh dear. Why would you get a cat if you knew Angel was aggressive towards them? She obviously needs to be the only animal in the house considering she has killed your neighbors dog and cat. It is unfair to the cat to be locked up in your room all day.

Mags answered on 1/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Blackie

Oh, why would you get a cat?
Me and my sister get along okay, but not with out cat. The cat was part of our household before either of the us were, and my mom couldn't kick her out. We get in little spats from time to time, but nothing to major. You, though sound like major fights DO happen.
I understand that you may already be attached to the cat, but maybe you should put it up for adoption (through Catster, perhaps? Do NOT put it in an animal shelter. Adult cats are rarely adopted)? You need to take Angel to a trainer or behaviorist. This dog can hurt people. I applaud you for not giving up on her and taking proper precautions, as most owners of aggressive dogs to neither. But this issue will not solve itself. It's hard to give you a really good answer in under 1000 characters, so I'm just covering the basics. Reconsider the cat, and get the dog some training. So far she's killed two animals, which is bad, but what if she killed a human? Do you really want it to go that far?

Blackie answered on 1/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer