How can I get my chihuahua to stop peeing in the house and chewing my shoes?

My chihuahua is about 3-4 years old. He was a rescue, so we're not sure. We've had him for 3 years. He is constantly peeing in the house no matter what. Also, he chews shoes any time he gets the chance. I don't know what to do any more. Can anyone offer advice?

Asked by Member 805638 on Feb 18th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

He is destructive and you have to take steps to train him to leave those things alone. First put the shoes in the closet.
Since he like to chew I recommend the x-small kong any pet store has these.
If you can not watch him then you must put him in a small crate which has a comfy blanket in it. If you know he does this chewing thing he must be taught not to do it.
If you catch him chewing say no, then trade the object for his kong or toy then pet his back when he starts to chew on that.
Some dogs chew out of frustration or cause they like the feeling.
Also if he is peeing he is never been housetrained. He must go out every hour, every 1/2 hr. after eating or drinking. When he does pee outside praise him, make a big deal out of it and also give him a tid bit of chicken or something

Well there are really a couple of reasons he is doing these things.

Is he neutered? If he is still intact, this would be why he is marking all over your home. You will basically need to start over in potty training him. Take him out after he eats, after he has lots of water, when he wakes up, etc. Keep enforcing going potty OUTSIDE, and the more you do this, the easier it will be for him to understand where he needs to do his business.

Do you have a crate for him? When you are not able to watch him, he should be crated. This will eliminate him going to the bathroom where he pleases and chewing up your things. All of my dogs are crated while I am gone until they completely understand that they can't just eat everything in the house. Also, keeping doors closed and him on a leash when you are home will help you keep him where you need him to be. He won't be able to have full access to the home. The leash will also help you in potty training him because you will know when he is starting to wander to pee, and then you can take him outside.

Make sure you are giving him adequate amounts of exercise. Lack of exercise allows a dog to have too much energy, and this often causes them to do things we don't like - become aggressive, become destructive, chew up things, dig, etc. A bored dog is not a 'good' dog, because they tend to do things that we, as humans, don't agree with or want. Make sure you are walking him daily, and playing with him lots.

Please message me if you have any questions. Best of luck.