Cosa

How Can I Count The Babies inside my Pregnant dog?

Asked by Cosa on Nov 27th 2011 in Pregnancy

Answers

Ultra-sound at the vet's, I believe.

I...don't take this wrong, dear, but I saw the diary entry you posted asking for advice. ...if you can't afford a vet, then you may have a very hard time affording to care for your dog and raising the puppies. What if your dog ends up needing a C-section? Those are very expensive and more common in the smaller breeds. And there's plenty that can go wrong that also requires you to have some money saved up in advance.

Here's an article you'll find helpful: www.chelsea

I'm also going to link you to some threads on a forum I frequent about whelping experiences:
www.germanshepherds.com
www.germanshepherds.com
www.germanshepherds.com
Those posts were written by an experienced breeder, someone who knew what they were doing, and they still had problems.
(The forum is for German Shepherd enthusiasts, but all dogs have the same type of reproductive system.)

Things may very well go perfectly, and I hope they do. But you need to know that things can and often do go wrong.

I hope my answer wasn't too negative for you, but I'm not going to shortchange you by not telling the truth.
~Tiffany, cookiemiller.tripod.com

Your 8 month old baby should have already had a vet check-up by now. Small breeds frequently need caesarians so I hope you have money put aside. Pregnancy in a dog so young & so small can result in many complications, including the death of the puppies & your beloved Cosa. PLEASE get to a vet. The ultrasound will tell you how many pups she is carrying as well as how they are developing.

After reading the stories on your other dogs I am feeling very concerned about poor Cosa and her babies.
Dogs are living, breathing pets that we bring into our house as companions. Doing so, we agree to keep them healthy and provide veterinary care to them. This does not mean to give them away when we decide they are no longer cute anymore!
Breeding dogs is a SERIOUS thing. In order to prevent suffering, they need to be GROWN UP and not still babies when they are bred.
If you cannot afford to take her to a vet I can't imagine what is going to happen when she ends up needing a c-section for around $1500...will you just give her away or just watch the babies AND her die???
Cosa NEEDS to see a vet for critical pre-whelping exams and care. If you cannot provide this, you need to take her to a rescue or shelter where she can get proper care.
Anything less is animal cruelty and cannot be considered any less.
Dogs are not throw away plastic toys... they need vet care at the least!