Charlie

How big will my Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix get?

I have a 4 month old Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix. The mom was a full bred Husky and weighed in around 110 pounds and the wee didn't get to meet the father. At 8 weeks old, Charlie was only 10 pounds and now at 17 weeks old he weighs 35 pounds. Does anyone who has this kind of mix have any idea what the average size?

Asked by Charlie on Jan 11th 2010 Tagged siberianhusky, germanshepherd, weight in Mixed Breeds

Answers

I would say he is no way on track to reach his mother's size or a typical German Shepherd. 110 pounds sounds huge for a female Husky. Not all dogs conform to breed standards, but it calls for a maximum 50 pounds. It is possible the mother mated with another, smaller dog in addition to GS and it is the sire.

My guess is that he will be 50 pounds or less. Check the ends of the leg bones. If they are still much knobbier than an adult's, the growth plates are still open and it is still growing. If not, do not expect much more growth.

You may find this link interesting, jn.nutrition.org

Kitana

Are you positive it wasn't a malamute bc a husky would not be 110lbs. I have a pretty big male but he is only 65 lbs. Alot of inexperienced people usually mix the two up. I have seen people actually call their dogs half malamute half husky bc they couldn't tell . Hopefully you are prepared for a bigger type dog.

Kitana answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

110 lbs?? What? Thats HUGE for a female husky...As in more than double, and almost triple their average size.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lola Penelope

As of the weight of your pup as a full grown dog, I was told to double his weight at 4 1/2 months old and you can get an idea. It was true for Lola anyway. I think minus or add a few pounds. We guessed she'd be between 80 and 90 lbs full grown, and now at 17 months she is 86 lbs. As for the Husky weighing 110 lbs, that's crazy. No way was she a full Husky!

Lola Penelope answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wow um guest at this point the only one being nasty is you. No one else here has made a nasty answer except to inform you that a husky would not be that big. I personally agree a female husky would never be that big and akc papers don't always mean the dog is purebred now a days unfortunately. They could always have an accidental breeding and still use the numbers on another dog to register the litter. I have seen cases where that has happened. Please refrain from making rude comments like this on this site this is supposed to be fun and educational.

I have to agree 110 is very heavy for a Husky. My dog is husky/shepherd mix too. When she was younger, she weighed between 70-80 lbs. Shepherds are a larger dog than husky's, so it depends on which breed your dog takes after. With mine, her body shape appears closer to a shepherd's but her size is that of a husky. Now that she is a senior, she weighs 50 lbs. Every vet we went to said she is a medium sized dog. A piece of advice, observe your dog's personality and see which of the two breeds it closely resembles. Then research the personality of that breed to find out how to properly deal with your dog. I figured out years later that my dog's personality was predominately husky. (Although glimpses of shepherd would come out when she was protective) Wish I figured this out earlier. I would have understood her better. Another note, your dog is mixture of two "working" dog breeds. They like lots of activity and to be kept busy! They become restless when too idle!

I love my siberian shepherd and own two. When I was told he was going to get up to 100lbs I didnt believe it like you guys... boy was I wrong and so are you guys (I see there was a lil hostility before but this was said in a playful mannerO. My male is 116lbs with not a inch of fat on him hes pure muscle I wish I could eat and not get fat. 110 for a husky is to big unless the husky needs to diet a whole lot. My female is about 90lbs. Im just a med student about to start my residence. Im in the infant stages of my career but I think that when you take two animals of the same species with different markers that somewhere alog the way somethin gets mutated and alters the dog so there will be differences from both parents. and we havent unlocked the reason why. Oh and one last thing my babys were both about 45lbs until they hit like 14months nd then BOOOOOOOM out of nowhere grew huge, AMAZING BREED! They are playful and friendly but will die savin u ur kids and all animals in the home

husky don't normaly get that big
mine is about 75lb and my shepherd is about 85
the puppys they have had in the past normaly weigh about the same
hope this helps

I have (what I thought was)a Husky/Shepherd mix but I have been looking online at pictures of the husky breeds and now I'm not so sure. Bear (my 3 year old) is around 85 pounds. He was weighing around 60 pounds but I started feeding him can food with his dry and he's gotten bigger.