How and where do I show my Beagle? Read Details

I live in South Jersey and got a beautiful beagle and my veternarian said she's one of the best he's seen, how and where can I show her? I've never showed dogs before.

Asked by Member 769709 on May 30th 2010 in Agility & Sports

Answers

If:
1. you have her pedigree paperwork
2. and registered her with the AKC
3. and she has not been spayed,
then you CAN show her.
If not I believe she can still compete in obediance trials.
Go to AKC.org for info on registration, events and qualifications.

yep, if you have registration papers and she is not spayed you can show her through AKC and the beagle club organizations.
I would attend a few beagle shows first to see how they present the dog according to standard and after that you can enter her.
It is fairly simple just register for a show and have all your paperwork in line with you.
I have shown dogs for many years. It is fun and rewarding.
It can be a great hobby. :) Some people also compete with Beagles on the field also.
check out that part also. This will help with showing. The judge will see that the dog can hunt and this will help her in the show ring as well.

To add to what others have said, her paperwork must also be FULL REGISTRATION. She cannot be shown under a limited registration.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 5/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ty

See if you can find a local club and see if they offer classes on how to show. This will give you the basics so that you can start showing. I made the mistake of letting someone talk me into showing a dog without help or classes. I got there early and watched but really didnt know what i was doing. But i learned and have been showing for almost 20 years now. They will be able to give you an address or even where to sign up for shows and even how to fill out the forms..

Ty answered on 5/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bennie

The first thing is she registered with the AKC or UKC or CKC in Canada? If not go to the breeder you purchased her from, it is the duty of the breeder to forward and pay for the documentation to be sent in for her and forward you the Registration Papers. Next take her to a local kennel club and enroll her in show handling courses, talk to people and get them to help you and show you the proper way to handle her. Read up on showing so you understand the points they need. Take her everywhere you go this helps to keep her socialized. Hope this is of some help, good luck.

Bennie answered on 7/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer