Lilly (RIP)

Homemade dog food...?

I'm considering switching Lilly to homemade dog food. What are your opinions on it? Is homemade dog food a lot more expensive than buying regular kibble? What are the advantages of cooking your dogs dinner at home?

Asked by Lilly (RIP) on Jul 6th 2010 in Homemade Food

Answers

I honestly don't know enough about it to say. I do know there is another side to it than what fills the internet. www.avma.org

myths skeptvet.com

www.nytimes.com

www.woodhavenlabs.com

There are those that hate to see any suggestion that it isn't a good idea.

Hector

With 4 dogs, Im an advocate for home prepared dog food. I shop my local meat market for great sales on good human grade meat. With my large breeds, it would cost nearly double to feed them a premium labeled dog food every day, and I have also found that most dog foods that are labeled "dog food" come from the slaughter house floors. It is all the garbage that the FDA won't approve for human consumption. Yes, they add some valuable vitamins and minerals, but I believe I can give them all the nutrition they need without having to give them the trash along with it. The ones that have more actual meat, are pricier than buying the meat itself.
They love their food, they are healthy, their teeth are beautiful, nice fresh breath, and perfect weight. I take them for yearly bloodwork and check-ups, and the vet agrees that their diet is working very well for them all.

So, as yo ucan see, I am pro home preparation!! Pawmail me for ideas if interested.

Lilly is adorable!!

Hector answered on 7/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think it's a great idea in theory. Check out the forums here and maybe post your question there to get more information.

There's a bit of trickiness making sure you give the dog a complex balance of proteins, acids and minerals in their food, which can often be naturally occurring in the food you want to prepare for them. But you should be educated about what your dog's dietary needs really are before you embark on any homemade diet.

That's not to say you shouldn't do it. By all means, try it out, but just do it smart so you don't end up overdosing Lilly on certain nutritional values in her food or giving her a deficiency of others.

molly

there are actually books with recipies for making dog food here is the link to a place that sells it(the book is great!)

www.amazon.com
the book name is
Real Food for Dogs: 50 Vet-Approved Recipes to Please the Canine Gastronome [Paperback]
i hope that helped

molly answered on 7/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Expense? Eh, depends on several thing. Some can do it for pretty cheap, others it does cost them quite a bit to do. Still others pay about the same.
Variants include where you live, where you buy the ingredients, how many sales you catch and take advantage of, whether you use co-ops or not, how much your dog eats, etc.

Advantages of a homeprepared diet (I feed raw) include having much more control over what your dog is consuming.
Benefits I have experienced include a softer and shinier coat; cleaner teeth and better smelling breath; smaller, less frequent, and less smelly stool; and more energy.

An extremely important thing in feeding a homeprepared diet is that you *must* do your research first. I've found that it's not hard once you know what to do, but know what to do you must.
I honestly don't know much about homecooked, but if you want to know more about a raw diet, here's a good place to *start*:
www.dogster.com

HI Lilly, how about trying this out....i believe you can find a good balanced nutrition! they can even tell you what is best for you!
I have done it..lets see how it works...

www.dogster.com

Homemade dog food is as cheap if not cheaper than kibble. My dog Gladys, a Pit-Italian greyhound rescue who weighs about 50 pounds, has food allergies. Instead of buying expensive hypoallergenic food I went homemade. I've got it down to a science costing about a dollar a day. Gladys eats a 9 oz breakfast and a 12 oz dinner (she use to eat 2+lbs of kibble) my formula for food is simple - 2 parts protein to 1 part veggie sometimes a little rice too. I require 1lb of meat and 8 oz of veggie a day. Chicken thighs are a great protein and usually cost 59-79 cents a lb if you buy in bulk (10lb bag) beef hearts are a good source of protein and costs under a dollar a lb. The one expensive meat I buy is liver - I give about once a week due to an important ammino acid it contains. Canned veggies are cheap as are those from vegtable markets. Get an old fashion meat grinder-its a big help. End result-Gladys seems 2-3 years younger (shes 7) and her coat is beautiful. Go homemade you wont regret it.

I switched my terrier mix to homemade food years ago and it made a huge difference in her energy level and coat. She would barely eat her dog food and it was one of the so-called "top quality" brands. Now she goes crazy at meal time. Recently, I found a mix called Canine Life which makes "muffins" when you add in fresh meat and veggies. No, I am not affiliated with the product, but I love it so much, I can't help but spread the word.

All dogs are different, but I think it is totally worth it to switch. Once you have your routine down, it is also very convenient because you can make batches and free extra. Hope this helps!