Shasta

Home Remedies for hot spots/terrible itching?

Bear is not my dog, he's a friend's dog. Lately, Bear has had a terrible hot spot on his rump that's been getting worse. My Lab had a similar problem (otitis was her condition)...a trip to the vet and a diet change permanently solved that.

However, since Bear isn't my dog.... a vet visit or diet change aren't possible. The owner has asked me to help out Bear by suggesting ointments/shampoos/etc.

I got some liquid hot-spot treatment for him, it helped a little. I am a little scared to try shampoos, as Bear is to the point of bleeding.

Do you guys have any home-remedies or favorite shampoos/ointments/supplements for hot spots?

Again, vet trips and diet changes are NOT an option since this isn't my dog (although I'm gonna strongly advise it to the owner...)

Thanks again for your guys' help!

Asked by Shasta on Oct 14th 2013 Tagged hotspot, chewing, bleeding in Skin Problems

Answers

Scooter, PAWS

Its a bit irritating that they are asking you to find help and yet they won't take their dog to the vet for at least a consult. I'm sorry. I know it's not you. You are describing a dog that is probably very uncomfortable and they won't let a vet look at it. Sigh....

The only thing I could even suggest is flea/tick meds....shampoos but like you said it's bleeding.

I hope you can convince them...I sure appreciate that you are willing to try!

Scooter, PAWS answered on 10/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You are a good neighbor dog, Shasta! Suggest cleaning out the wound, covering it with dermasol, and then spraying bitter apple on it. Hopefully that will protect and keep the dog from chewing himself raw. Hopefully the wound will heal and not get infected. There are medicated shampoos and conditioners available, but if you buy these things for your neighbor, he/she will not take responsibility and assume that you are going to take care of their dog. Finally, you can ask them that you will adopt the dog and give them visitation rights if they are unable to care for it properly. ^_^

Avoiding allergic situations is the best method, but there are times when things get bad, such as seasonal blooming. One of the best practices is to give your dog regular baths to keep dirt and debris out of their fur and off their skin. Most allergic reactions are natural to dust irritation, and bathing helps keep the dirt off your dog and down the drain.

Consult with a veterinarian to discuss anti-histamine solutions. As a warning, human anti-histamines such as Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can work in an emergency situation, but the dosages are very different for dogs. Do not use human drugs on a dog without consulting with your vet first.

Omega 3 supplements help maintain your dog’s skin and coat. For situations such as itchy or dry skin, this can be a real blessing for any dog. Brewer’s yeast also has skin moisturizing benefits and helps to naturally repel fleas. Additionally, it helps keep their coat luscious and fashionably stylish.

Keep your dog’s environment flea-free. Fleas are one of the most notorious causes for allergies, especially since they are host to many different substances (breeding grounds such as the yard or in dusty areas).

Dogs can get just as itchy and sneezy as you can, so be sure that you keep your dog happy by keeping them out of anything that their body doesn’t approve of. Keep your environment allergy-free so that your dog can stay happy year-round.