Hi. My 1 year old Saint has been limping and I'm concerned. Any advice?

Hi. My 1 year old Saint has been limping and I'm concerned. My previous Saint died of bone cancer at 9 years old so of course I'm paranoid about that but my new Saint seems too young (hopefully anyway). Any thoughts/advice? I will take her to a vet but until I can get in was hoping for some advice to ease my mind in the meantime. Thanks.

Asked by Member 1072414 on Nov 22nd 2011 in Saint Bernard

Answers

Sailor

Nothing much you can do for a limp except take her to the vet ASAP. After a vet assessment/xray you can decide on treatment. Keep a close eye on her, monitor her for pain, swelling or any visible injuries to the leg she is limping on. Report your findings to your vet. This will help to figure out what is going on with her. Good Luck:)

Sailor answered on 11/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I recommend doing a couple of things.

1). I would feed a high quality diet. I recommend feeding Orijen, Acana, The Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Primal Pet Foods or Red Dog Blue Kat. I also recommend you to check into feeding a raw diet, a raw diet is the best diet a dog could ever eat since dogs are carnivores. If you're interested in feeding a raw food diet, check out the Dogster Raw Food Diet forum - www.dogster.com

2). I recommend supplementing your dog with a high quality sovereign silver, curcumin, yucca and DMG.

3). Check out this article about cancer in dogs - www.vrp.com

4). I also recommend to exercise your dog daily.

Gatsby

Our Saint is just over a year, and he was limping a bit. Our vet said that he had probably just strained his ACL, and just to keep an eye on it. We made him take it easy for awhile, and then gradually started exercising him more, and taking him to the dog park more frequently, now he's limp free. We still watch it to make sure though, and the vet recommended we start him on a joint therapy to help. She told us that sometimes they just have growing pains because they are so large.

Gatsby answered on 12/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer