Mollie Munchin

Hi, looking for the perfect breed of dog...

Hi, I'm looking for a good breed to suit my family.
It has to be,
. Small
. Trainable
. Non-yappy
. Low-shedding
. Gentle, friendly and cuddly
. Gets on with other dogs

Hope some people can help! I'm thinging maybe a Maltese, Bichon Frise x Poodle or Toy Poodle. But I need some advice!

Asked by Mollie Munchin on May 14th 2008 Tagged whichbreed in Other Puppies

Best Answer

I was looking for the same things, and I am very happy with my dog. She barely ever barks, she's 15 lbs - not too small, not too big... She's smart, furry and doesn't shed at all. She's a Cockapoo, which is a Cocker Spaniel Poodle mix. She looks very much like a tiny cocker spaniel. Mine is red. She loves people, children and other dogs. She had a lot of energy as a puppy, but by a year, she was a pretty mellow dog. I can't tell you how much joy she has brought to my whole family (even my 80 year old grandmother loves to puppysit) I've seen them online for $1000 or more, but I found a breeder near here (south Florida) who sold them for about $350 each. I wouldn't pay $1000 for a mix dog, but I'm very glad I paid $350!

Good luck in your search!

answered on May 14th.

Answers

Jiggs  CGC

Only you will know what breed of dog will fit into your family and the best way to figure it out is research. I would google non-shedding dogs and start there. If you go to the AKC site for the breeds you are interested in they will give the dogs traits, energy level and what they are bred for, this will help in your decision, you can also speak with people in breed specific dog groups and just ask questions. There are some cute mixes now, designer dogs that might fit into your family .......... Good Luck.

Jiggs CGC answered on 5/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A good place to research on these breeds is akc.org, dog breed books, the Dogster breed discriptions (in "breed info"), Wikipedia.com, etc.

You'll need to research the different breeds so that you can choose one that will match your personality and lifestyle.

I found a quiz you can take that may really help you! Try this: dogtime.com

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

a Toy poodle would be a great dog cause they don't shed much and their extremely smart. The only thing is that they require lots of grooming and sometimes can be yappy. Here are a few links to some breed selector quizzes.

www.dogbreedinfo.com
animal.discovery.com
us.iams.com

This website also has very good information about lots of dog breeds
www.yourpurebredpuppy.com

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 5/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Okay first of all there is no such thing as a perfect breed of dog. But there is one that will fit into you family and be perfect for you.

Small- There are lots of small dogs out there
Trainable_ any dog can be trained
Non-yappy- you want a small dog, yapping does come with it
Low shedding- definately not a maltese, they are a long haired dog that sheds, bichons don't shed a lot. Poodles don't shed (they are also considered hypo allergenic)
Gentle, friendly, cuddly and good with other dogs
There are quite a few of those but the Toy Poodle is great.

From the dogs you have in mind, I would do the toy poodle. If you want a mix you i would get a mix between a poodle and a bichon they are so cute especially if they end up with bichon face. But I would say poodle. or Poodle mix.

Hope I could help

Lily

My daughter's Shih Tzu fits all of your criteria. Small, yes, but not tiny. Trainable, yes - probably medium range. Yappy, no, thank goodness. She does bark a little when people come to the house, but not excessively - just a greeting. Shedding - none. Dander, none. She is extremely hypo-allergenic. My son-in-law and grandson are very allergic. Meesha and her mother are the only dogs that haven't caused them any discomfort. As dogs bred as companion for royalty, they are very much lap dogs. She does enjoy medium length walks. Friendly, yes. Likes other dogs, yes. Gentle? Not aggressive, but playful. She has 2 teen age boys for companions. Meesh does need regular grooming, but I think most small dogs do.

Lily answered on 5/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Dagwood

There are a few questions on this site that can help you find a dog that matches your personality and lifestyle. dogtime.com

Dagwood answered on 5/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jessie Jones

Poodles are so smart and cuddly.No shedding at all.I have a toy and a mini and wouldn't have anything else.It is a great breed and they are so eager to please.The only time they bark is when someone comes to the door which is a good thing.Good Luck!

Jessie Jones answered on 5/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Latte Diva's Gold

Rat Terriers are nicely rounded dogs. Small ours are all under 20lbs. VERY trainable. Only YAP when someone knocks on the front door. Low shedding and what they do shed is slick and falls right to the floor, you can cut down on the shedding to almost non-exist by giving them simple omaga 3 fatty acids & a multi vitamin. Very gentle, VERY friendly & VERY cuddly!!! They love other dogs (socilization is important for any dog) but these guys are generally very other dog friendly!

Latte Diva's Gold answered on 5/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer