Hi everyone! I've been having terrible problems with my year and a half old german Shepard Akita mix (we think).

Ever since she's started to age she has become more and more hyper active... I mean, giving hyper a new meaning! I can't invite her to lay on my lap because she won't sit still and will actually end up hurting me with her powerful paws or her constant movements... She just spazzes out and will fling herself around right when I pet her! I give her Atleast 3 long walks a day, which is hard to do with our busy schedule but we do it. Not only that but she jumps (doesn't nipp) and will harm you terribly as soon as you Put the leash on her. She drags me down the stairs and actually broke my hand once before! Also she is incredibly fearful of discipline. I try to clam her by petting and shell pee and when she jumps I point and say 'no!' sternly and she'll urinate on the floor. She does this at bath time too, or right after she realizes she's done something bad. I just don't know what to do and have tried almost everything. Can anyone help us with our baby girl?

Asked by Member 1139129 on Nov 5th 2012 Tagged urinate, hyper, shy, walking, leash in Fears & Phobias

Answers

I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds to me like she needs more exercise. Some dogs have endless amounts of energy. How long/far are the 3 walks you give her? Are they every day? Akita's are a very head-strong breed. They need an experienced owner. A German Shepherd is a working dog. They need a job. So, you have a combination of two breeds that require a lot of attention. So, unless your willing to give her the time she needs, nothing is going to get better. As for her urinating, she is peeing in submission. Some dogs do that. The more you get mad over it, the more they do it. They can't help it. It's an uncontrollable reaction. Try greeting her in the kitchen where it's easy clean up. She sounds like she's a very sensitive dog. Try using treats as a positive reinforcement for good behavior. As for the pulling, try getting her a gentle leader. It looks like a halter like horses wear. You might try training classes. Good Luck with her. :)

Willow

It sounds to me as if your girl needs to learn some manners! Have you taken her to any basic obedience classes? If you haven't I think you'd find it would make a big difference to her behaviour. Just make sure you find someone who uses positive, rewards based training - steer well clear of anyone who subscribes to the methods used by people like Cesar Milan!

Willow answered on 11/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer