hi all. i got a shitzu female 3yrs old.

so we decided we would breed of her when she came in heat the last time and in so doing we used our friends male who is also an indoor dog. here is the problem. since coming home now 2 weeks we have noticed she is getting sick in the mornings really but not alot. we laugh as we have 3 children and my good wife had simular problems. but we are not sure if she is even in pup or is this common enough in these dogs. we never had it before and just wondering.. thanks all for reading

Asked by Member 1096448 on Mar 1st 2012 in The Dogster Website

Answers

I don't have enough experience caring for pregnant females to answer the question directly (I have done research in this area, but have little experience), but just as a warning--you may get some rather negatives answers on this. But then again, you may not. Just letting you know. And they usually have valid points that I agree with, actually, I just disagree with the manner they sometimes communicate these points in.

I can tell you that she should be checked by the vet at some point in her pregnancy. How long ago was she mated?
Good luck.

Only a vet will be able to tell if she is pregnant. Start saving money for her care & possible c-section she might need. Please research how to care for the pups. Also be prepared in case she dies during birth, retains placenta, or even a dead pup. Start looking now for good homes for pups. I assume all health tests were done on both dogs & you are able totake back any pup that does not work out in its new home? Breeding is so much more than just putting 2 dogs together. It is a huge undertaking best left to professionals.

Vomiting daily after being bred is NOT NORMAL. I would strongly suggest you get her to a veterinarian ASAP as she could likely be suffering from a uterine infection which can quickly end up being fatal if it is not treated.
Hopefully you had both her and the male tested for canine brucellosis and other reproductive organ diseases, as well as the other normal testing that Wiley mentioned so that can be ruled out as a cause of her symptoms.
A uterine infection is not uncommon in smaller breeds after breeding, and the early symptoms include vomiting and general malaise, especially if it is a closed infection. In an open infection a pinkish tomato soup appearing discharge would also be present.
Breeding dogs is not an inexpensive undertaking and things can and do go wrong often. It sounds like you may be experiencing the can go wrong part already!!!