Hey Everyone! My dog's nail's are really long and I feel bad, but her quick is SO long! Please help???

My dog Rosie has really long quicks (is that how you spell it???). My sister tried trimming her nails but she made her bleed. She only cut a little tiny bit off. I applied pressure and it stopped, but I assume it hurt her. How can we trim her nails without making her bleed?
Thanks!

Asked by Member 762235 on May 23rd 2009 Tagged nails, trimming, blood in Home Grooming

Best Answer

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

A Dremel tool would probably help you out A LOT! You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes in the tool section. You'll want to use the little sandpaper tool that screws on the head and use it to file her nails down.

It's like that "Pawdicure" thing they sell on TV but has more power.

It will let you file her nails down, expose the quick without it bleeding and she will let you know when you are too close - unlike with cutting.

When you expose the quick (it's a little sensitive just before it's going to bleed so watch her reaction and you can tell ), it shrinks back. So the next time you file her nails (about 2-3 weeks apart for long quicks, 4 weeks for regular) you are able to go back a little further and the next time a little further until they are at a managable length.

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on May 23rd.

Answers

Bailey

The longer the nail is, the longer the quick will be. If she has super long nails, you will have to just cut little little bits off at a time so the quick will shrink. Once you get them to a good length, trim them more often so you don't have this problem again.

Bailey answered on 5/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

Cut the top part of the nail so you are cutting off a little triangle. The quick is more towards the bottom of the nail. The top part of the nail is the hardest part so if you keep that part short it should cause the bottom part to wear down on its own which should help the quick to recede. Good luck!

I do like the dremel as well. You could try a file and round the sides and top edge of the nail.

Sassy answered on 5/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

take her to a groomer.
if it bled then you hit the quick and yes, it hurts alot.
Also, after you take her to groomer ask someone to show you how, or the vet
They can show you and give you tips on cutting nail.
I take my time on white nails, as I have a harder time seeing the quick. So I take off small amounts at a time.
Some people have hard time with black nails, but I find white ones hard.
Here is a site that may be of help:)
www.thepetcenter.com/gen/nailtrim.htm

Boomer is right, the Dremel. Aster had quick that came almost down to the end at the top. Check this link, homepages.udayton.edu

Note, enough walking or play on pavement keeps the nails short. Before I got the Dremel, I used to take Aster out in the garage and play tug of war.