Pasha

help with recall! tried everything!!

My puppy recently turnt 1. when we got her she would not come when called but wouldnt leave the yard and now whatever I have it doesnt matter show wont come back when she is strongly on prey. we think she is a foxhound which I heard are one of the worst dog for recall and shouldnt be let of leash but at the same time we think she is mixed with something else. She comes back after about 10-20 minutes but I see neighbnors dogs who come back and I cant seem to get mine to come back! HOWEVER, sometimes if I walk outside with hotdog she will come back from about 10ft max unless she sees something. I have tried to offer toys,treats and I give tones of enthusiasm but nothing seems to work! we even use a long leash with works until you let her off. Please help! tried almost everything but I really wish I could let her off in the front yard instead of restricting her to the back yard. We also walk her plenty

Asked by Pasha on Aug 19th 2010 in Methods of Training

Answers

Your dog should NEVER be off leash unless you are 110% sure Pasha will "come" on command. Dogs don't need to be running free, especially when their safety is at risk. Having her on a long leash in the front yard is perfectly fine and she will be safe and sound. No worries about cars and the older she gets the further she will run.
Keep up the training and keep her on a leash. If one technique doesn't seem to be working then try another. Allowing her off leash without her knowing the "come" command is pointless, your getting no where fast. She's going to run and keep on running until she fully understands what your asking of her.
All my best to you.

she is how old? pups have short attention spans. very short.
Your dog may not be able to control her self at this age. A dog usually has to be fully mature mentally to have a good mindset.
If you dog is not coming when called she should never be off lead. Your dog is in danger each time of being struck by a car. You keep using the leash, food and praise. If she does not respond to you you can tell her no sharply. I would keep working her everyday for 15 min. 1 x a day.
The best approach is no outside recalls until they are good real good. Distractions come after dog learns the command throughly.
Time to back up and start over with no distractions.
Coming back after 10-20 min. is too long. She is blowing you off. This should not continue you are letting her get her way and making her disobey you totally. If she doesn't improve in the next 4 months or so, I would have a trainer watch you and your dog they will be able to point out mistakes in training. Also seek out club good luck