Help with diet - dog with sensitive tummy

I adopted an awesome dog 6 weeks ago. She has had intermittent diarrhea and loose stools. We've seen the vet (a few times) and all tests and samples have come back negative. My dog is energetic and loves to eat but clearly has trouble with digestion. She has been on a diet of rice and chicken and now rice and low residue wet food (Iams, from the vet). I have also added a tsp of canned pumpkin. Still, we are having poop issues a few times a week. I don't want to start experimenting with new foods, fearing that it'll give her more gastric distress. Not sure what I should do, and if we do try something new, not sure how to go about introductioning it. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1131867 on Sep 21st 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I would ask your vet about Prozyme enzymes. You add it to their food. It helps with digestion. Kali has been on it for years. Good Luck!

I agree with Kali, but here you can buy Prozyme at regular petstores. My guy has a sensitive system & once I put him on the Prozyme his stools firmed up nicely. It is important to sprinkle it on the food & make sure it is moist. Let it sit for about a half hour to an hour before feeding. The enzymes will *eat the food & start to digest it so when the dog eats the food it has already started to be digested, making it easier for the dog to absorb the nutrients.
If you decide to switch foods, which I would recommend, go for a good quality food with limited ingredients & no grains. Something like duck & sweet potatoe, or venison. Start adding it to the food you are feeding now. 25% new mixed with 75% old. Gradually increase the new food & decrease the old. Take at least 2-3 weeks to make the complete switch over.

Since it is intermittent diarrhea, it will take longer than usual to heal. Don't worry things will be fine in few more weeks.

EVO red meat has no grains. that's the only thing Dieta can eat, tried every marketable food. good luck

Nutro has many different limited ingredients foods for dog with sensitive stomachs. I have had much success in the past with this when my dogs had trouble. It is an all natural food also with meat as the first ingredient. May be worth a look.