help with aggressive 2yr german shepherd

hi there, i have a 2 yr old german shepherd amle that ive had since he was 8 weeks old.
As a puppy he was very well socialised with people & other dogs.
now when i got him i was living with my mother who turned 2 alcohol which caused me to have dificulties at home with violence, strange people barging in & highly stressful sitiuations.
i have now been moved out for 6month but my poor boy still goes nuts at people who come to the house..
we have been making him wait on other side of door then letting him say hello with my guest giving him a yummy bit of something at the same time. think hes getting it but he is now also aggressive to dogs & fence fighting with next door dog.
nothing is working & neighbour not willing to do any sort of training & her rescued dog attacked forst causing the problem!!!
her dog is a collie & my dog now going nuts at any collie like dog

Asked by Member 1139907 on Nov 9th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Are you able to distract him at all from the fence when the neighbors dogs are there? You were able to help him with people, then you can help him with dogs. If you can't distract him, then I would work on his eye contact and focus with you while your in the house. Use some really yummy treats that he would die for and only use them for that specific training. Once he has that down, then maybe you could take him to your door or right outside the door when the neighbors dogs are out. Get his attention before he escalates to an aggressive state when he won't listen. If he doesn't react, reward him with the treat. You might have to start inside the door and work to the outside. If possible, I would do it a few times a day. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions. Good Luck with him!

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

if he's fence fighting with the neighbors dog. then the simple answer is to keep him away from the fence. get into an obedience class if for some socialization.

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 11/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer