Spartacus

Help! My pup won't stop trying to escape upstairs. He's 6 months old, and otherwise obedient.

Basically, my pup has separation anxiety. When my husband and son leave for football practices; he always tries to knock down the gate to upstairs, where my son would usually be found. Now, I just need to know how to teach him to get over it? He's a young pup; and very affectionate. I know his problem; but I need help on how to fix it. Thanks.

Asked by Spartacus on Oct 30th 2013 in Separation Anxiety

Answers

The problem is his apparent lack of discipline. Granted, he's just a pup, and in becoming a teenager, is trying you with his Roman name and stamina. Buy a stronger gate, use a firmer command and teach "stop," "no," and "leave it" commands. Basic training is NOT over until your dog is well-trained, and training starts at Home. Use treats or whatever best motivates him-- including calming sprays or pheromone diffusers-- and that can be time with his humans. ^_^