Help! My dog won't eat!

I just adopted a boxer/dalmatian mix yesterday. I got him from the animal welfare division in our city. He coughs a dry, heavy cough and it sounds like he is going to throw up but he doesn't. He will not eat ANYTHING. I gave him some dog food, he ate ONE single piece because I put it into his mouth. I tried giving him human food (vienna sausages) but he licks it and that is it. He will not eat anything I have tried to feed him. He does drink though. He loves to drink out of the toilet! Could there be something stuck in his throat? I tried looking to see but I didn't see anything in his mouth... but he wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a GOOD look. Could he be sick? He has his bordetella (kennel cough) vaccine, a 5 way vaccine and rabies vaccine. Other than that he has no other shots. HELP!

Asked by Member 255686 on Nov 21st 2008 Tagged boxer, dalmatian, coughing, choking, throwup, vomit, eat, food in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

Kodamour OA AXJ OF NAC TN-N PD

Yes, he could be sick. Go to the vet pronto!
Koda is a pound dog and had a bad case of kennel cough when I took him home, even after having bordatella vaccine. He needed meds and a couple of weeks to get healthier.

You should also seriously consider deworming him as well. You can buy Panacur C over the Internet or get some meds from the vet directly. Better to get a stool sample and take it to the vet for analysis.

Kodamour OA AXJ OF NAC TN-N PD answered on Nov 21st.

Answers

Miss Buddie

First of all, he's a sweetheart!

Second, take him to your vet for an exam. Even if he's been vaccinated, his symptoms suggest kennel cough or at least an upper respitory (sp?) infection. He might need an antibiotic.

You might also want to try soft food, or some white rice boiled in chicken broth.

Miss Buddie answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cooper

The other two are right. Sounds like he may have kennel cough. And even with the bord vaccine if he had it before he will have it now unless he gets treated. Almost every pup that comes from any animal welfare will have or has been exposed to kennel cough. You can take him to your vet to be put some antibiotics and with time it should get better! Remember even after he's been treated and has been on the antibiotics, there is a good chance he will have a residual cough. It may take some time before the coughing has stopped!!! I got my pup from the animal welfare, but still had him updated on pretty much everything. Good luck with your new addtion! :)

Cooper answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ace

Depending on how old the dog is, it could be Parvo. My puppy did this. He wouldnt eat, but he would drink alot. I didnt know what was going on. Parvo causes them to be dehydrated, and constantly thirsty. The fact that he has no other shots bothers me, and it very well could be Parvo. I suggest you get him to the vet, asap! Before he gets worse.
Good luck.

Ace answered on 11/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer