Help! My dog is becoming aggressive!

Our one year old shiba inu-mix has started to become aggressive. He used to get along well with all other dogs but lately has taken to lunging at other dogs through the fence. He recently slipped out while I was opening the gate and immediately pounced on the neighbors beagle. He has also started trying to hump our chihuahua (also male) continually. He is beginning to show signs of food aggression with snarling and snapping at our chihuahua. It's never over their dog food but rather over our food at the dinner table. We have taken to putting him in his kennel when we sit down to eat. Also, we've recently moved so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I'd really appreciate any advice you all have. I'm just really concerned that if I don't stop this now then he might bite one of my kids one day.

Asked by Member 562054 on Jul 23rd 2008 in Aggression

Answers

- Remember that dog aggression does not equal human aggression. A dog CAN have both, but just because one is present doesn't mean that the other is, or will be.

- The fence fighting could be the dog aggression coupled with barrier frustration.

- Google "NILIF", sounds like you need a good solid routine, with good solid boundaries that Sam needs to follow. Dogs will be less stressed out when they understand what's expected of them. It sounds like he is super stressed, and is releasing his anxiety in bad ways (the dog aggression, and increase in humping... dogs may hump to relieve inner anxiety and stress).

- For any resource guarding and food aggression, pick up "MINE!" by Jean Donaldson.

He's trying to be dominant and also is trying to protect what he considers his.
Dog's attitudes can change when you move due to stress, so that could be it.
I normally have advice on how to stop it nonviolently, but my brain isn't working too well right now.
Wait for Kolbe, he'll be able to help.

Shogun

He is trying to be dominate. With the food aggression just give him a BAH! in a growling tone. Remember you are the pack leader. The pack leader tells the pack when to eat. Anytime you see him humping or lunging at the fence go up and bump him with your leg and BAH! By doing that you are claiming the space as yours and telling your dog that you don't like his behavior.

Shogun answered on 7/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer