Help!!! My dog ate a dirty diaper!!!

I feel terrible! About 4 days ago my dog ate a dirty diaper that I had forgotten to throw away right after my baby's bath. He took it off the counter before I realized my mistake. He was fine until yesterday, and has been having bad diarrhea and gas. He threw up once too. He is eating and drinking normally, but I was wondering, can dogs get an intestinal infection from something like this? I called my vet but he hasn't called back yet and I am worried!

Asked by Member 984143 on Apr 28th 2010 Tagged dogatedirtydiaper in Forums

Answers

He'll be fine. Dogs eat such weird things and we always want to know why they eat the things they do. Dogs will eat their own and other dogs poop. Dogs have such strong digestive systems they can eat just about anything. The diaper is probably just passing through his system. My dogs have done the exact same thing, nothing has ever happend to them. Don't worry a lot about it. If he is starting to get really sick, not eating, and not drinking, I'd take him to the vet.

Since he is eating, drinking, and acting well, then he is fine.

He certainly can get a blockage and end up in serious trouble and needing emergency surgery to get it removed. Symptoms such as he is now exhibiting would certainly indicate that this is a likely possibility. Please call your vet back if you do not hear from them and get him looked at as soon as possible. The longer he remains blocked, if he is, the more damage it is doing to his intestines.
It is impossible for even a veterinarian to diagnose problems with your dog without seeing the dog in person. Heeding the advice of people answering these questions who have not seen your particular dog's problems is perilous at best. At worst, it can make your dog's condition much worse and more difficult for your vet to diagnose.
Meanwhile, do not feed him anything someone may recommend to "push it out." Good luck!

Fecal matter aside, diapers are made from very dense, fibrous materials which are designed to hold up for a long time without disintegrating.

This is a NOT a good substance for a dog to swallow simply because it's not going to pass through easily or break down or get much smaller in size inside the body. Additionally, diapers are made from a mixture of fibers and usually have a plastic coating, and plastic is one of the most dangerous things a dog can swallow in terms of just blockages.

The diarrhea and vomiting, knowing he's swallowed at least some of this type of substance, is enough to take him to the vet for an evaluation.He could certainly have a blockage.

If there was indeed human fecal matter in the diaper, he can also have an infection, which is pretty likely.

Unlike the first answer, just because dogs have more acidic stomachs than we do doesn't mean they are magically impervious to blockages or bacteria.

Good luck....if your vet doesn't call back, call an E/R vet.

Gidget

I totally understand your fear, as my youngest will eat just about anything!!!!

Therefore, I have asked my vet what are the danger signs I should watch for, should she eat something questionable.

He said to not be worried if the following symptoms appeared, but if they were persistant or severe, then I should bring her in for a check up.

Diarreah
Vomiting
Eating habits change
Lying around, (but not lathargic)

He said any or all of these are very likely to happen, (depending on what was eaten) but unless they persisted for more than a couple of days, it would be likely it was passing through the system, while making them a little sick along the way.

Warning signs
Constipation
Not drinking
Diarreah for more than 2 days
Not eating even a litte bit
Disinterested in surroundings.

He stressed the constipation, and said to bring her in STAT, if that happened.

So watch closely for the signs and get help if you see a decline at all.

Gidget answered on 4/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Toto is right, nothing to push it through. Wait for your vet to call. There is more danger of blockage than infection. Dogs will eat almost anything and sometimes are fine, and sometimes die. If your vet doesn't call tomorrow, call again.

Diesel

The main thing i would be worried about is the fact the material inside a diaper is made to absorb liquid and that causes it to expand. I know i have seen diapers weigh two to three pounds after one is put into water. I would be afraid it would expand in his tummy when it absorbs his tummy acid.
I am a worry wart but i would be taking him in to the vet instead of waiting on the phone call. it could save you money in the long run trust me.
Diesel swallowed two rope toys and i took him to the E-Vet and they made him vomit them up. The vet said i saved myself $3000 by preventing an abstruction. Again if it were me i would be taking him in.

Diesel answered on 4/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer