Tigger

Help! I need some ideas for dealing with my vicious dog!

Hello there! Heheh, this is very embarrasing, since Im proud of my way of training dogs , and even want to become a behavioralist and protection dog trainer...

I have a pack of dogs, but always one stands out more to others, mostly from fear of him.
Tigger is almost 3, and is a big, brindle mutt we've had since 5 weeks. We wanted him for a guard dog, which is what he does best. However, he takes his job very personal so to say.
He is scared of people, and I mean ALL people, except for those inside our household. This fear has turned him into a big brute of agrression and nerves almost everytime he heres, smells or sees a person who he doesnt live with.
Now, I know mostly this reason. He is genetically messed up. I know his mother and father and siblings well, and they act like him. But also, he has had a bad expirience as a puppy at a petstore, and I believe he never recovered fully from it.
Ive tried food, toys, calming methods, and medicine, but nothing works.
Any ideas for tigg?

Asked by Tigger on Mar 7th 2014 in Aggression

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

Due to your grammar I'm not sure who is more afraid, 'others' or your dog. Dogs imprint at nine weeks, so he learned these poor behaviors in your care. If he is inbred that can affect his personality, but more so his health. You need to socialize this dog. Start small, and find him one external playmate of the opposite gender and work from there. Get him neutered at the vet if he's not already; that will settle him down. Thundershirts are good for anxiety, and so are pheromone diffusers, classical music and the dog sitter DVD. Maybe "your way" of training needs work, because I don't know of anyone who would accept dog training from a person who cannot DEMONSTRATE how well behaved his or her dogs are. Keep working with him and all of your other dogs... ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 3/7/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Scruffy (R.I.P.)

Consult a certified Veterinary Behaviorist.

Scruffy (R.I.P.) answered on 3/9/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Taking your dog to a behaviorist would be the best thing to do. Your dog lacks socialization and that would be the best thing to do. When you meet someone, show gestures of friendship -handshaking or warm greeting, etc. to let your dog know that the person is harmless.