Help choosing what is best for my dog!

Hi there,
I have a one year old male cockapoo who is neutered, and rather submissive, but very protective. He is crated whenever we aren't at home, and does well in the crate. I was recently considering buying another dog to keep him company. If I did, it would be another cockapoo. I was just wondering if this was a good idea, and if so, should i get a male or a female.
Thanks a Bunch!

Asked by Member 1105212 on Apr 10th 2012 Tagged seconddog, cockapoo, puppy in The Adoption Process

Answers

When you already have a dog you have to consider the best match, not what you want, but what works well for the dogs.

It may not be a Cockapoo.
Maybe female is best, but sometimes a confident male is better.

You should look for a dog that brings out the best in your current dog rather than magnify his worst. So, don't get a puppy and avoid a nervous or overly submissive and protective dog.

It's like an arranged marriage, but your little man has the "right of refusal"

I looked at a couple dozen dogs before Candy and I found her perfect gentleman in Snickers.

A bad match can be a nightmare.

Bailey

Whenever you're looking to get another dog to add to your family, it's very important to keep your current dog in mind.

There's a lot of questions your should ask yourself when getting another dog and there's already one at home. Does he socialize well with other animals? What's his temperment like at the dog park? Is he not only protective, but possibly food/space aggressive as well?

It's also important when getting another dog that he/she matches your lifestyle as well. I've had to go through the heartache of giving up a dog because even though he was great with my current dog, he was aggressive with my small children.

I would take your current dog to meet any prospective candidates for your new dog to see how he reacts. It's hard to tell you which sex to get without knowing how he is around other dogs but if he's indeed submissive, another sturdy male might not be a bad idea.

I hope I helped and good luck on finding your new dog!

Bailey answered on 4/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would try out both genders of dogs, a male and a female dog to see which dog yours gets along with the best. Whichever one he gets along with is the one I'd adopt.