Help! Barking service dog constantly.

Hi everyone, my neighbor has a dog that barks incessantly and particularly when he is left Lone. When I notified the neighbor that the dog was barking non-stop, he informed me that he was a service dog in training because he has seizures. Of course, I said no problem but I would appreciate that they get this under control. Dogs bark, I understand that but they are not supposed to bark non-stop. This week-end the dog was left alone all week-end so it cried, howled and bark until 2AM. At some point, I got worried and had maintenance call the apartment because I feared something had happened, turns out, they just left the dog alone. I am asking this forum because I am uninformed about the subject. Is this normal behavior for a service dog? Is it supposed to be left alone for long periods of time? How should I address this issue respectfully? I need desperately to sleep and work during the day (I work home). Any resources I could read or give to my neighbor would be appreciated. Thank you

Asked by Member 1149776 on Jan 13th 2013 Tagged barking, service, complaints, noise in Service & Therapy Dogs

Answers

Please repost this on the main forums, in the Service & Therapy Dog Forums. There are many people there who could help you with this. They are well versed on the laws. You will get more informed answers there.

Service dogs, and service dogs in training must adhere to the same laws and regulations as any other dog. In residential areas, this would include nuisance barking, which most towns have ordinances for. My town considers sustained barking of more than 10 minutes between the hours of 7pm and 7am as nuisance barking and the owner is subject to fines and court action.
I would report this barking to your local police department WHILE the dog is barking. It is helpful if you have a recording of the barking, particularly noting the time it starts and the duration.
I would also wonder how this dog can be a service dog since the purpose of a service dog is to provide tasks to their legally disabled owner. In order to provide tasks, the dog must be WITH the owner, not left at home. I would think this would be even more important during training.

Agree with the above. Service dogs are meant to mitigate a disability...the dog obviously cannot do that if left alone all weekend. And, service dog or not, they are still required to follow your local noise ordinance laws. Since you tried to talk to the owner and got no effort in changing things, your next step is reporting them -- they might change their tune when they receive a fine.

Sasha

Sorry but it seems like you're "barking up the wrong tree" in the regs dept. Sounds more like you got the run around from your neighbor who was just making up as good excuse as any to get you to drop it. As a prior Customer Service manager in retail, I had the duty to request documentation from a customer w/their service dog who entered my store. Upon getting to know one such customer, she informed me that in order for her to keep that "service" dog, she MUST BY LAW carry it's service license w/her & the dog MUST BE WITH her 24/7. It's a medical issuance w/strict codes (per state) but since your neighbor left the dog unattended, he's at serious risk of losing the dog. And "service" dogs are trained for at least 2 years to bark ONLY as part of their unique medical emergency response. Perhaps you can inform the Humane Society of it and let them take charge. If it's legit, they'll inform him of his duty to keep the animal calm, if not he has no right to have a dog.

Sasha answered on 1/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

B.J., CGC

Sasha, no documentation or certification is required for a service dog. As a retail person you are only legally allowed to ask if it is a service dog and what task(s) it performs, nothing more. NO paperwork, licenses, special tags, vests, etc., are required nor are they encouraged.
However, that does not mean the dog doesn't have to obey all regular dog regulations and/or laws in the community they reside in, for example barking ordinances as in this example. They should be reported to the local Police Department the same as any other violation of dog laws or regulations.
A Service Dog in training may or may not have public access in the state where the OP resides, it depends on state law. There is no federal law which provides access to a SDIT, it is all up to state law. It IS possible the person does not have access rights for a service dog in training in his state, if that is the case the dog cannot accompany him unless it has reached full SD status.

B.J., CGC answered on 1/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

No dog service or not, should be left alone in a house for a full weekend. This is not normal behavior. Sounds more like neglect to me.

Service dogs are expected to be better behaved than pets and this one is not. If it's a service dog why is it left alone? Don't put up with it it makes the rest of us look bad.