Hello I have dachshund she is about 12+ years of age, I thought that she had a stroke this morning. So I looked up what

Hello
I have dachshund she is about 12+ years of age, I thought that she had a stroke this morning. So I looked up what the symptoms would be, it said that she would turn circles like she is chasing her tale , she is not doing so, However, when she try's to walk she walks at an angle then when she gets going she then rolls over due to balance lost. Also when she stands her back is hunched, she has no strength in her back right leg/ or hip not to sure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
We have gave her a 81mg low dose aspirin to keep her comfortable, we try not to let her walk around much , in concerned that she will hurt herself. We think that she also may have cancer she has had bumps (hard ones )
appearing on her stomach and she has one now on her foot
Thank you
concerned Pet Mom

Asked by Member 1137849 on Oct 27th 2012 Tagged stroke, brokenhip, age in Senior Pet

Answers

Strokes in dogs are rare. It might be Canine Vestibular Syndrome. Does she have a head tilt & are her eyes dartimg back & forth?
It coild be s disc issue. Daschunds are prone to back problems.
The lumps could be fatty cysts or something worse.
Please take her to the vet for a full senior checkup.
Do not give any more medication until you do.

Josie

My josie was recently diagnosed with vestibular syndrome, what your describing could be this however it could also be alot more serious like an inner ear infection or a disk issue (i have doxies also and this always has to be on the table). I would take her to the vet asap because some of the possibilities could get very bad very quickly. Until you can get to the vet keep her confined and so not let her walk around much as if it is her back walking around could easily cause more damage. Good luck and we are hoping for the best

Josie answered on 10/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer