Honeybear

Hello! I have a 3yo corgie-bassett mix shows her belly as if submissive but growls if approached. Any ideas?

Asked by Honeybear on Nov 8th 2012 Tagged behavior, growling, submissive in Behavior & Training

Answers

Layla Lu

Maybe she wants to play?

Layla Lu answered on 11/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would say that her examined once. If everything is normal, then probably that's her way of playing. I doubt there is a possibility that she is suffering with something.

Usually this behavior is in response to fear. I would contact a good veterinary behaviorist that will come to your home and give you help in building her confidence.
This is very important as some fearful dogs will end up biting if pushed.
This can definitely be helped with proper behavior modification and training practices.
Good luck!!

Toto is right..this is a classic fear response. A behaviourist is a great idea. You can ask your vet for a recommendation.
You can try dropping treats when ever you see her. No contact or calling her..just drop a piece of cheese as you walk by.
You want to create the association that people means good things come her way.