Pheobe

Healthier flea treatment for my Siberian Husky

I have a 14month old Siberian Husky and she is having a real problem with fleas this summer. I have tried the stuff from the vet but she is having an adverse affect on her. Her skin is turning red and she seems to be scratching even more. I have tried advantage and all the other popular treatments from the vet. I would like to know if there is a more organic or even just healthier non-chemical way of getting rid of her fleas. I have tried everything over the counter. Is there anything I can make at home that would be better for her. I also have to be careful cause she likes to clean her coat as if she were a cat.

Asked by Pheobe on Aug 25th 2009 in Other Grooming

Answers

I asked this question a few months back:
Question posted in Forums:
www.dogster.com

Question posted in Answers:
www.dogster.com

I have great results with Frontline.
My dog's skin has alot of ackaline in it. I had no side effects or distrubance to her skin.
Also the fleas became under control quickly on each dog.
I usually get them in the Fall here , or when I travel with the one dog.
She may of had a reaction to the Advantage, I have heard of more than one person saying that.
The Frontline is applyed to the neck in one spot if needed have someone hold the dog.
It is between the shoulder blades so she should not be able to reach it. Also, remember that flea bites can cause skin dermatitus so it may take a few weeks to calm the itching once they are gone for good, good luck:)
You can buy Frontline at Petsmart and pet supply plus now, usually it is in a locked case. It goes by weight.:)

I have amazing results with Lemon oil, Geraniam oil, Cedarwood oil and Evergreen oil. These are Essential oils and they work amazing! Put 3 drops of Lemon oil on your dogs coat and rub it in all over, 1 drop of Geraniam, 1 drop of Evergreen oil and 1 drop of Cedarwood oil. This is the best and the the most healthy flea oil or anything you can put on your dog.

Are you sure it's fleas? Are you seeing fleas?
Fleas feed on dogs. They don't live on them. They live in the house, in the carpet and furniture and bedding sometimes. They also live in the dirt and grass outside. That's where you also need to focus your attention in ridding your house of them.
There is a fantastic, natural product that works wonders for getting rid of fleas. It's diatomacious powder. Also known as D.E.--diatomacious earth.
It's ground up fossils and most garden nurseries will carry bags of it. Don't get the swimming pool grade, it has chemicals.
Sprinkle that all over your yard and pound it in. Very generously do the same inside on your carpets, everywhere and furninture. Pound it in so it gets down where the fleas live. Wait 24 hours and then vacuum. The dryness of the powder suffocates the fleas. They need moisture to survive.
If it's not fleas, look at the ingredients in your dogs food. She could have food allergies. Grains in food can cause it.

Fritz

Hi, we had an infestation a few years ago. We had to treat our grounds, treat our house, treat all of the dogs bedding before we got the little buggers under control.
Good luck, fleas are horrible.

Fritz answered on 8/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer