Havin a problem with my germen shepherd mix chow puppy her ears dnt point up I dnt kno if I should tak her to get ..

Her ears cropped. Help please!!

Asked by Member 1121905 on Jul 22nd 2012 Tagged ear, crop in Answers

Answers

I don't think "cropped" is the term you mean. That's when they actually cut off part of the ear (think pitbulls, Great Danes, Dobermans). German Sheps and Chows are NEVER cropped. BUT, if the ears are not standing up by the usual time, sometimes they are SET or TAPED. Just google "German Shepherd ear taping" and you will find links to dozens of pages about it. This does not involve any ear surgery, just various ways of making the ears stand up temporarily while the cartilage hardens.

You don't say how old your pup is, though. If the ears have not come up at all by six or seven months, you are probably not going to get them to come up now. The right time to start is probably about 5 months old (to give the ears time to come up on their own first, before resorting to tape.)

If it doesn't work, don't worry too much though- floppy ears are cute too!

Tiara

It is not a big deal if the dogs ears do not stand up. It does not help them to hear or anything so it is not a big deal if they never do stand up. The only way it would really matter would be if it was a show dog and since yours is a mix, I would not worry about it. Good luck

Tiara answered on 7/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

She's a Mutt.
Leave her alone, her ears are what they are. If as an adult dog they stand up, so be it.
Pure breed GSD puppies frequently have floppy ears, that go up, then fall again, before they finally stand up by age one.