Have a 2+ year old lab that we acquired back in October. He is not trained very well!

We are having huge problems with him getting into things even when we are gone for 10 minutes to take the kids to school. His mission is to see what he can find and get into in the kitchen. If I forget to put the garbage can up, then that's all over...last nite he even opened the bottom cupboard and got into cereal boxes! Help!

Asked by Member 1212339 on Feb 21st 2014 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

You need to puppy proof for a new big dog like you would baby-proof for a toddler. Then, start from scratch with training to reinforce proper pottying habits, and basic training such as stay, roll over etc. If your dog cannot do these things and you do not know how to train a dog, enroll him in a local puppy training class where he can socialize and learn with other young dogs. Otherwise, you can hire a trainer, but they are more expensive. It will always be that way if you leave the garbage down, just like my dog will eat the cat food (if I'm not present) if I forget to pick it up for my fat cat who can't jump up to the counter where the cat bowls are. Good luck! ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 3/7/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer