Otto: Rest in Peace 1996-2011

Has anyone ever discovered a lump on the ribcage? I am worried that it may be osteosarcoma.

I discovered a lump on Otto's ribcage: he is 11 years old, so I took him to the vet and the vet was able to move the lump, but it is hard, not soft. He says it's probably not osteosarcoma, since that usually affects the long bones, but then I did some research and discovered that it can rarely affect the flat bones of the ribs. Anyone have any experience with this? Otto is scheduled to have the lump removed this Wednesday, so I guess we'll know by then.

Asked by Otto: Rest in Peace 1996-2011 on Jan 5th 2008 Tagged osteosarcoma, cancer, ribcage, surgery, lump in Cancer

Best Answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Being a Vet Tech has given me some experience with this worry of yours.Due 2 the fact that Otto is a Lab it is more then likely not a form of sarcoma.when u see a dog that hasOsteosarcoma u don't normally see any physical evidence other then lameness.When looking at an xray of a dog with this condition their bones look like moths have been nibbling on it.It looks brittle.B4 u would have noticed any signs on the skin u would more then likely b taking Otto 2 the Vet 4 a broken bone.ur Vet is correct about the long bones being affected long before u will ever c a dog with it on the ribs.it's more then likey a Lipoma or a cyst.I'm thinking a cyst.I'm totally hoping it is a Lipoma or a cyst.How long has it been there?Any chance he has run into something&it could b like a blood blister?Did ur Vet do xrays,needle aspirate or bloodwork?These are all things I'm use to doing 4 a dog of this age.u may want 2 do these options or a 2nd opinion.email me @ my dogster page if u have more questions

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on Jan 5th.

Answers

I know you must be concerned, and I would be very worried, too. Try not to let your imagination go crazy on you since you can't do anything until you have the results, anyway. (Easier said than done, I know!)

With an 11 year old lab, I'd be inclined to say this is more than likely a fatty tumor, or lipoma.

We had a lab once who had a large, seemingly fixed lump on his foot, which is one of the last places you see a lipoma since there's simply no fat in the dog's foot.

Turned out to be a simple fatty tumor that was growing from underneath the pad, up through to the knuckle. Again, not common at all, but it happens.

Labs are incredibly prone to lipomas, on all areas of the body and their chances of developing them increase with age.

Those lipomas can be hard and SEEM fixed, even if they aren't.

It could be something worse, but chances are better that it isn't.

Please come back and tell us how Otto's test come out!