Harness for my malamute?

Ok, so I have seen a few owners walking their mals and sibes in a particular harness which seems pretty useful in the case of pulling - trouble is I don't know what the harness is called I have tried everything! Its sort of like a martingale collar, but a harness. So when the dog pulls it tightens and stops pulling. I think the harness and lead is all connected and the lead just loops through the ring on the back like a slip rope and then you pull it to the shape of the dog. Does anyone have any idea what I'm thinking of? Please would be a great help.

Asked by Member 1142708 on Nov 28th 2012 Tagged alaskanmalamute in Behavior & Training

Answers

I'm not sure I know of a harness that matches that description, but I can recommend a couple of suggestions.
It might be a Sporn harness. Sporn has several styles of no pull harness on this web site: You can purchase from www.drsfostersmith.com

I prefer front hook harnesses to deter pulling. Like the Easy Walker gentle leader harness or head collar.

Any tool, like these harnesses must be combined with training to be effective, especially with a sled dog.

I use a GentleLeader halter-style harness on my husky. It's like walking a completely different dog and it feels much more humane than choke and pinch collars. If she begins to pull, she ends up turning herself around in the opposite direction which is a deterrent for her because it just makes her mad.