Gunshot wound advice, no money to take dog to vet.

My dog got shot with either a BB gun or a 22 rifle on the top of his head. I cant tell if the bullet is still in there cause it hurts him to much to try and look at it. Is there anything i can give him for pain so i can shave the hair around the wound to look deeper. This is a good size dog. He is a pit lab mix and about 120lbs.

Asked by Member 906332 on Oct 29th 2009 Tagged painrelief, woundcare in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Jesse

Your dog needs to see a vet NOW! it could have shattered his skull, be imbedded in his brain... if nothing else could cause a lethel infection. Borrow off someone, put it on the credit card, ask if you can pay it off, there are places which lend money for animal emergencies, someone else here might have the links... I really don't understand people not having the money for a vet. Sure times are tough, but I would go without to ensure my dog sees a vet if necessary.

Jesse answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I DONT SEE WHY PEOPLE HAVE DOGS IF THEY CANT AFFORD THEM!!!! this dog NEEDS a vet, no way around it. i agree with the last answer on this one, the bullet could have hit the skull, shattered or worse case kill the dog! do your best to borrow the money if you have to or find a vet willing to take payments due to this being of such urgent need!!!!

Jet

If it were a small cut, I can understand that you would just need to disenfect it with a small cloth, but THIS IS A GUNSHOT WOUND! Face reality! This dog NEEDS a vet and I agree with the previous poster and I'm wondering why people have dogs if they can't afford them. Your dog is dieing on the clock. Please SAVE YOUR DOG!

Lots of Licks,

Jet

Jet answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Unless you want to risk his very life, he needs a vet and ASAP. Animal shelters keep tabs on vets in their area, and should be able to direct you to a good low-cost vet.
My family is below the US poverty level and on a limited income--we still manage to pay for our dog's vet trips. If the day ever came that we absolutely no doubt about it could not afford to spare anything to pay any vet, we realize that the best option for the well-being of the dog is to give him away to someone who can.

I agree, a vet check is necessary. Also, if you have any idea who could have shot your dog, report it. report it anyway because it IS cruelty. Now as to survival, we found an American Foxhound sitting by the carcass of a skinned raccoon once. She looked pretty bad, we took her to the vet, she had been shot TWICE in the head. She survived. Don't give up. the bullet may have passed out somewhere, the vet will know. all it took to save the dog we found was a warm place to recover and about $15.00 for antibiotics.
So even tho you may think it seems hopeless, maybe you CAN afford to help your dog. Most places it is ILLEGAL to just shoot a dog, and if you are in town it is DEFINITELY illegal to discharge firearms.
Call around and explain your circumstances, don't be to proud, save your pet. As a last resort a shelter might help as your dog has been the victim of animal abuse.
Most of all REPORT IT TO THE POLICE, next time the shooter fires, a kid just might be the one to take a bullet.

It is your legal & moral responsibility to get this dog to a vet NOW!!!
If you can't do this surrender the dog to a shelter so they can help him!
You shouldn't own animals if you can't financially care for them!!!

Bandit

OK there is a HUGE difference between a BB gun shot and a .22 rifle. A .22 your dog would be dead. If he did get shot then I would assume a BB gun. It can embed the BB into the skull and then cause an infection leading to a brain infection which means death next. There really isn't anything strong enough on the market that you can buy to take away the pain so you can look more closely at him. You would have to take him to the vet, that is the only way to get strong enough meds. He is going to need antibiotics plus he runs a VERY high chance of lead poison now expecialy if the BB is still in there.

That is just terrible.....

Bandit answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

This is an emergency and you must take your dog to the vet.

It's actually illegal for you to neglect him by not taking him in to the vet, and for good reason.

He's suffering and in pain and he may die from this, a slow-painful death.

If you need to ask around to family and friends to borrow money, then this is the time to do so.

Please don't look for the bullets yourself. You'll only cause him even more excruciating pain and expose the wound to bacteria which can cause blood poisoning.

Please, PLEASE do the right thing and take your dog to the vet NOW.

Dash

I hate to sound like an echo but you MUST get your dog to the vet ASAP! If your child was shot, would you not give them medical care? I know vets can get expensive, but this is an emergency. In the future, I would suggest pet health insurance. I adopted a puggle who was hit by a car and suffered many injuries, including a luxated spinal cord that left him paralyzed in his hindquarters. While I'm glad I didn't have to pay for those repairs (thousands of dollars, not to mention the cost of his wheelchair), he may very well have related health issues in the future and I keep myself prepared with pet insurance.

Dash answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kenyon, Angel In Residence

I agree that your dog needs vet care. I hope you found someone to help you. Try the animal shelter if you cannot afford to take your pet to the vet.

As for a .22 being a 100% lethal GSW...not necessarily. A .22 is relatively small caliber ammunition and would not necessarily penetrate the skull depending on the angle from which it was fired. Conversely, if it was a .22 and it did penetrate the skull it may not have exited. Sometimes the smaller the caliber, the worse the damage since the bullet can ricochet once inside the skull.

Best of luck to you.

Kenyon, Angel In Residence answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

im in the same situation exept its not on it's head. i love animals but we dont have the money to take him to the vet.
and for all those people that are like
it doesntmatter BLA i would take him to the vet no matter what and you should too or you should give him up. well dogs don't care what kind of clothes you wear or how much money you have. THIS PERSON ASKED FOR ADVISE NOT CRITISISM. COME ON OBVIUSLY THIS PERSON IS GOING THROUGH HARD TIMES YOUR ALL MEAN PEOPLE IN MY OPINON TO CRITISIZE her/him
THIS KIND OF THING PROBALY HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO YOU THIS BAD we just don't have the money! i know we should take them to the vet but we dont have the money for a gunshot wound. take him to the vet for checkups and stuffand they may too. i would never shoot my dog or anything never ever ever. but i totaly simphisize with you and ill tell you if i hear any good advise. i hope your dogs okay but if theres any way you can, take your dog to the vet and ill do the same.

your in my prayers