Heidi

Green discharge in my puppy's eye?

I have a pom puppy who will be 11 weeks old Sunday.

Just this morning I noticed green discharge in one of her eyes. Both eyes water some but not immensely, so I hadn't noticed anything strange before today.

I wiped it off but it's back.

I have some Terramycin (oxytetracycline hydrochloride)my vet prescribed for my cat when he had something going on with his eye.

Is this safe to use on my puppy's eye?

I'll be taking her to the vet Tuesday, so I'd like to try and wait until then. I already went to the vet earlier this week due to her dandruff, which I feared was Cheyletiella. It was just fleas and skin she had scraped off scratching, and they gave me an oatmeal shampoo and Vectra 3D. I gave her a bath with the shampoo and put the Vectra 3D on her 24 hours after her bath.

I really appreciate any answers and advice!

Asked by Heidi on May 26th 2012 Tagged puppy, pom, pomeranian, eye, green, discharge, infection in Medications

Answers

I would definitely keep your vet appt on Tuesday. I also wouldn't use your cat's meds on your pup. Sometimes if they prescribe something else, when you go to the vet, it doesn't mix well with what you have already used. Good Luck!

Hi, this is you new POM Pup: Please only use a Normal saline eye wash - that's it until you see the Vet for some help: The NS eye wash can be found at CVS or Walgreens in the Human section of the Pharmacy - NO meds - it's just plain salt water called NS eye wash... Good luck