Tyson

Good quality dry food under $50?

I feed all three of my dogs (two pits & one boxer) Taste of the Wild grain free roasted venison & bison dog food, that food specifically because at 9 weeks old my older of the two pits developed a food allergy, hes grown out of it so id like to find a food thats cheaper. After tax a 30 pound bag of food comes up to $52. Its a very good quality food but id like to find something cheaper. Also something that most stores sell.. We travel a bit & one time we had a hard time finding their food since alot of places dont sell it. Thanks!

Asked by Tyson on Sep 13th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Ella

A friend of mine has 2 adult dogs with wheat and corn allergies, she feeds them Diamond brand Wheat and Corn-free dog food. She pays about $25 for a 40lb bag at Big R stores. However, I'm not sure how wide-spread that company is, so I don't know about availability. But I have seen Diamond at a couple different pet stores as well.

Ella answered on 9/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Taco

If there are any Walmart's near you, try looking there. They carry many varieties of dog food for half the price as any other place. DEFINITELY don't go to a pet store to get it. Their prices almost double Walmart's. It's ridiculous...

Taco answered on 9/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Unfortunately quality foods with meat-based ingredients do cost more. That's the reason the brands at Wal*Mart are so cheap--they're corn-based.
When it comes to meat-based kibbles, I actually consider TOTW to be in the lower medium of price range. A bit more expensive than some other brands, but manageable.

Are you still looking for grain-free? If so, NONE of the kibbles at Wal*Mart will work.

If grains are fine, I'd recommend the brand Chicken Soup. It's pretty cheap. I was able to get a 15 lb bag for $20.
I DON'T recommend any of the Wal*Mart brands.

Tiara

Nutro max is an all natural food with no by products or corn in the food. I would stay away from anything sold at Walmart. And diamond has had many recalls over the last 5years. I would not trust them

Tiara answered on 9/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

We've had good luck with Blue Buffalo Lamb & Brown Rice. It's about $30 for a 15 lb bag . So far, it's the only thing that doesn't bother Libby's stomach. My understanding is that it's a midrange food--though at the top of my price range--and it's available at PetCo.

To the Diamond food hater, Diamond makes the expensive formula dog foods for highly rated brands , so if you don't want Diamond Foods, don't buy Natural Balance, Kirkland Signature/Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain, Apex Pet Foods, Canidae Pet Foods and Wellness. Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul is another,among others that Diamond makes. Diamonds natural dog foods are top rated by several publications such as the Whole Dog Journal. I feed Diamond Natural large breed adult to 3 Pits, as it is economical and the dogs thrive on it. Read Up,before you condemn Diamond Pet Foods, as you are probably using it and don't even know it.

Mika

They do have some quality foods at walmart. You just have to read the ingredients. The first 3 ingredients shouldn't be by products of any kind or corn. There is also a score sheet online you can use to rate your dog food. I have a Siberian Husky and recently started feeding her a food called Actr1um, and i scored it and it rates over 100 wich is a great rating and is very affordable. And is a baked food and corn and wheat free. (from walmart) Not that i claim to be an expert but i did research on dog food when i bought my husky...hope that helps you

Mika answered on 9/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Look into Solid Gold and Merrick pet food. Some of the brands that they have available are grain free.