Good dogs for homes with young children ?

We have four young children, 9,6,4,and 2. We have one inside dog, a male beagle/hound mix 11 years old, and two cooped chickens. Is there a dog breed that would be good for our family?

Asked by Member 1116031 on Jun 16th 2012 Tagged youngchildren, dogs, cats, chickens in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Sounds like you've never had a dog before? I would go to a rescue or shelter. They can match you up with a dog that would fit your family. Good Luck!

I don't think there is any breed that is NEVER good with kids- it depends on your lifestyle and how your kids interact with the dog. Like normally tiny breeds are not recommended with kids (too delicate), but I've seen happy families with both, if the kids are mature enough to respect the dog and treat him gently. Same for giant breeds, "aggressive" breeds, "sensitive" breeds, etc.

Though I would probably also avoid the high-octane dogs since I bet you're pretty busy with the kids and don't have time to give the dog the serious exercise some breeds need. (But that's your call.)

I think it would be great if you could involve the kids in your choice somehow- talk to them about what kind of dog they'd like, and then see what breeds fit that, and also fit your exercise/grooming/training abilities. There are lots of breed books and websites that will help you!

I agree that you should begin by definitely going to your local shelters. Millions of dogs die every year due to over-breeding.

Regarding a breed that's good with children, Mastiffs are great family dogs, as are Labradors, Great Danes and quite a few other breeds.

Larger breed dogs tend to be more calm and well-mannered than smaller dogs, and if you adopt a dog, you can get one that's already a year or two old, which means less hassle trying to train/house-break them.

Regarding your chicken coop, put up some extra fencing, because there's no guarantee with any dog that they'll leave your chickens alone. If you train them by bringing them by the coop and correcting bad behavior by properly utilizing a prong collar (learn to use it correctly so you don't injure your pet), you can train them to stay away from it.

However, dogs are instinctively hard-wired in many cases to hunt small game like chickens.

www.PetLeader.com

Kayak

My favorite choice for a breed in a home with children is a lab, a golden retriever, a German Shorthaired Pointer, or a Weimaraner, the latter two would be only appropriate for an active family with children as they need to run and run and run some more. Good luck in your search. Remember to listen to your gut too.

Kayak answered on 6/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Any dog of any breed can be good with children as long as you properly train and socialize the dog.

The most common dogs that you hear of that are good with children are Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Collies, Beagles and Basset Hounds. Honestly, like I said above, any dog can be good with children as long as you properly train and socialize that dog.

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Siberian Husky, Pug, Great Pyrenees, Saint Bernard, Rottweiler, Doberman, Akita, Newfoundland, Boxer, German Shepherd are also great with children if properly trained and socialized - same with the Lab or the Golden.