Rambo

Good cars for dogs

I am currently looking for a new car/suv. I have a large breed, American Bulldog and a medium breed, AMStaff mix. I also have an 8 year old son. I am not looking for anything really big but i want to be able to put the dogs in an area behind my son. He is currently getting trampled in the back seat of my Intrepid when we ever try to take the dogs anywhere with us.

Asked by Rambo on Apr 27th 2010 Tagged goodcarsfordogs, goodsuvsfordogs in Car Travel

Answers

Hector

I have 4 dogs, who LOVE to go bye bye.

When it was just two dogs, I bought a very large dodge ram truck. This didn't work out so well.

When I got 2 more dogs, I traded for a jeep wrangler 4 dr. The back seats fold down, and allow them all enough room to ride comfortabley. If I have a passenger in the back, I can put the seats back up and let them stay in the cargo area. This gets a little cramped for 4, but two would ride just fine, in the cargo area if the trips aren't long distance.

If you only have one backseat passenger, the back seats are 20/80, and a child could use the 20, and the 80 could be let down for extra doggie room.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a tough vinyl or hard leather seats. I took carpets out of back, for easier vac, but seats are still hard to get hair off. I will replace with a tough vinyl this summer.

I have a tundra pickup 4dr too, good for 2 dogs with no backseat passengers. Micro fiber seats clean easily!! Not big enough for 4.

Hector answered on 4/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kodamour OA AXJ OF NAC TN-N PD

I used to have a sedan style car and it wasn't safe for the dogs either since they chewed through the seat belt type of restraints that I tried to keep them safe in case of an accident or fast brake.

I've been very happy with my 'new' used 2005 Honda CR-V and I'm able to separately crate (solid metal crates) both my 25 lb dog and 65 lb dog in the back and behind one of the back seats folded up. It doesn't allow for much else in the car though besides one passenger and a few bags.

The Honda Element is a good doggie car and I seriously considered a Ford Explorer, but couldn't afford it at the time.

I used the dogcars dot com or www.dogcars.com website for my research and then did some verification of the dimensions on the individual manufacturer sites to check for crate space. In the end, I took the crates with me to the car place and put them in the car before buying it. Yeah, I am dog mom and proud of it!

The Ford/Mercury mid-size SUV or a Honda Odyssey or Pilot, are good options.

Kodamour OA AXJ OF NAC TN-N PD answered on 4/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a Jeep Liberty and two big dogs. The seats fold down, and like the wrangler, are 80/20 split. So you could have the dogs in the very back and have the whole back seat for your son, or mix and match. The only issue i forsee is the jump up and in when the dogs get older. I may have to get a sturdy step stool as it is a bit of a hop!

The Honda Element is dog eco friendly, it has uplift seats and a dog ramp now. The older ones have no carpet in them so the doggie messes are an easy fix.
I like the roomy head space and the seats are also hair and pet mess friendly.
It just was not big enough with the beasts I own right now, but your size dogs would love it. Look for the used ones they don't hold that much value as the chevy trucks.
good luck.

♣Duchess♣

Well, i depends,
we dont take our dogs out very much, but when we do we take our Dodge ram, but we also own a Mazda Cx-9. u could look into one of those, ( its a suv) also, the ford edges are quite classy and fit a lot, not sure on the gas mileage, if u are looking for something with good gas mileage then the chevy cars may be something to look into,
Well, there are a lot of great cars out there, just have 2 find the right one guess!!!!! :)
Good luck and hope u do find the car that fits your family and family pet!!!! :)
Also, just thought about it, maybe a car wouldnt be to great, wouldnt be so much room, but would probably get better gas mileage, and the SUV would be great for seating your whole family plus your large furry pup, and if u find the right one, then you could get good gas mileage and a great price, for your situation i think that a SUV would fit you just fine!!!!(:
Again.... good luck!!!!!!!! :) (:

♣Duchess♣ answered on 4/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Augustus James

We have 2 huge bullmastiffs and 4 teenage boys so the Toyota Sequoia works great. We did have to get a ramp (Costco $79) for the dogs now with their leg injuries. But a good place for supplies is Petedge.com and they have back covers (about $30) from general by dimension or custom fit ($130) to keep the hair under control.

Augustus James "Gus" answered on 4/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We have a Blue Honda Civic and a Yukon. The Yukon is great if you want a lot of space for your dog. The Honda Civic is pretty small, so I would not recommend you to get that car.

I've heard great thing about the Honda Element and they have a new dog edition. My parents have one and the dogs seem to be comfortable riding in it.

We have a Volkswagen Passat Wagon and the dogs are also comfortable in there, too. And there's plenty of room in the back for kids, groceries and it gets great mileage, too.

We purchased a Jeep Liberty that I absolutely LOVE for Deogie. It has a 60/40 split rear seat, so when I have my grandson I can still give Deogie enough room to stand.
I purchased a ramp for Deogie to get in and out. It easily folds up and super simple to put into place when needed.
To keep my jeep a little cleaner I placed a basic tarp on the floor covered by a flannel sheet. The tarp is stuck down with double sided tape and the sheet is replaced with a clean one every other day or depending on Deogie's day out.
I remember when I bought a vehicle to suit my children but now I buy vehicles to suit my dog. I wouldn't have it any other way.

We have a Honda Element.
Pros: Interior is waterproof
Back seats fold up giving lots of cargo room
Very affordable
Great Gas Mileage
Easy to clean... With all the sand in it right now, we'd have ruined a vehicle that had carpet.

Cons: With two mastiffs (Just under 400lbs of dog), we have very little cargo space for traveling. We are looking into a roof rack or a cargo hitch so we can put luggage in a trailer. If I could go back, I might've gotten a Tahoe or something similar.
It's also not exactly the "coolest" looking ride on the road. It's about practicality, not looks.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 4/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sailor

We have a Chevy Trailblazer. We can have a comfortable ride with 4 passengers & my mastiff. Sailor rides in the back. We have purchased a tarp from Pet Smart that has double sided velcro strips that is made for the back of an SUV it works great for collecting dog hair. The tarp is easy to remove & clean. The back of the Trailblazer has enough room for Sailor to stand or stretch out & sleep if he wants.

Sailor answered on 4/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer