golden retriever shedding

i am thinking of getting a golden retriever and was wondering how much they shed. I've heard they're great dogs but shed like crazy.

Asked by Member 866442 on Aug 11th 2009 in Golden Retriever

Answers

Fraid so. Most dogs, both long and short haired shed, especially spring and fall. The only way out is a dog such as the Poodle and others that have more of a fur than hair.

A good diet, regular brushing, and seldom if ever bathing help.

Shadow

Yep, they sure do. My golden sheds a lot. I will let him out of the house to sweep the floors. As soon as I let him back in, there is hair all over again. If for some reason a few days go by without sweeping, when I do sweep I always joke around that I can build another puppy with all of the balls of hair I gather. With that said, they are very good dogs. You have to have a lot of time to devote to them though. They suffer from separation anxiety. No matter what I am doing, he is laying right by my feet. They are also very active dogs. They get excited very easily. Make sure you can handle it before you go for it. They really need an extreme amount of attention.

Shadow answered on 8/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bandit

Every Golden I have know sheds like there is no tomorrow. Even if they are on good dog food they still shed a lot. But I think a Golden is worth it because they are great dogs. Just keep a dog bruch and a hair roller handy and you will always be happy.

Bandit answered on 8/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jake

I have a Golden, and he doesn't shed that bad.

Jake answered on 8/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Menemsha

I have a labrador retriever and they have a shorter denser coat than goldens and she sheds often especially really bad in June before the heat arrives. I think brushing helps. Be prepared to spit out dog hairs a lot as they get all over everything and you might want to purchase the Dyson Animal vacuum. It works great! lol I will say that retrievers are one of the best breeds if not he best due to their non-aggression although they are very energetic and especially when they are puppies. They are great when they get older although my girl is 5.5 years old and still has gusto. Good luck! Your retriever will always be there for you and are very loyal, loving and friendly and only want love love love.

Menemsha answered on 8/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Ginger ♥

I have a golden and she doesn't shed too much. I brush her a lot in the spring and summer when they shed the most. My friend she uses the sweeper hose and goes over her golden with it. Goldens don't shed too much compared with shepherds,akitas, or malamutes.

♥ Ginger ♥ answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer