Getting a new dog?

I have a 4 year old beagle mix rescue dog. She's very loving and sweet. She is my first and only dog, but my family is considering another puppy. My dog has been around other dogs, although she's shy. She absolutely never gets agressive with them, she just kind of lays there (or stands there) and lets the other dog sniff. The dog I'm considering adopting is said to be okay with other dogs. Since my current dog doesn't get aggressive (she doesn't snap, or bite or growl) around other dogs, should it be okay to get another dog? Do you think she will get over her shyness, once she gets used to the puppy?
I really have my heart set on this puppy, but I don't want to get another dog if my current dog won't ever get comfortable. That's not fair to her.
I don't know if it matters but this dog (the one I want to adopt) will be smaller than my current dog, and my beagle mix seems better with smaller dogs than larger ones.

Asked by Member 1091380 on Feb 11th 2012 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Dinah Saur

eventually they'll pack up. It might take a while though. Do your research on how to introduce a new dog....
www.lycomingspca.org
...is a good resource.

I just did the same thing- i have a 4 year old rescue and last week rescued a 15 week old puppy.

My dog loves puppies and they're doing great now but she started marking inside when we first got him.

It could take over a month for them to get comfortable so be prepared for work.

Just remember meet outside the house, your first dog gets the best treatment, no toys or bones for at least a week, feed the dogs on opposite ends of the room, don't leave them alone together, and its easiest to get the opposite sex because there is less dominance issues.

Also worst case scenario.. is there a return policy?

Dinah Saur answered on 2/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I suggest taking your current dog to meet the puppy in neutral territory (at a park), before bringing it into your home. You will be able to tell if she is going to accept it or not. Good luck either way!!

Neua

I just recently got an Aussie (Neua) but we currently had a Yorkie and Shih Tzu. It has taken a little time but my little Yorkie has really opened up to the Aussie, they play together with the ball. They have loads of fun. So to answer your question, your beagle will do just fine, my Yorkie is very shy also and we got a bigger dog than she, so if my Yorkie can deal with an Aussie than your beagle can deal with a dog smaller than her, go ahead and get the dog, BUT DON'T forget to give a lot of attention to your beagle because people sometimes get preoccupied by the new dog and forget about the old, so giver him/her a lot of attention to let her know she is still very important to you.

Neua answered on 2/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, it's most definitely okay to get another dog. I would look into a couple different dogs and test all of them out with your dog to see which one you and your dog get's along best with. Whichever puppy both of you guys agree on (you and your dog), that's the puppy that you should go with.