JoJo

German Shepherd and a St.Bernard? Just a few questions and concerns..

I was never able to have a dog when I was younger. My parents aren't dog people. But now that I have my own place I want a big dog to have around, and to get close to my 5 year old daughter. I currently have 2 poms who don't listen to anyone but me. This lady is giving away German Shepherd/st.Bernard mixes. Is that a bad mix? My friend tells me that st.bernards are mean, and some GSD can be too. I really fell in love with one and really want to take her home. I think it depends on how you raise your dog. Both my poms are very social and have great temperments, and I know I did a very good job with them, well with JoJo, cause I've had him since he was a pup, JayJay I found a few months ago, but he's a good boy too. I know if I take this pup, I can raise her right. What do you guys think of this mixed breed? Good idea? Or is it a bad one? Especially since I have a 5 year old?

Asked by JoJo on Jun 18th 2009 Tagged mixbreeds, temperment in Breeds

Answers

Lexie

I don't know about st. bernard but German shepherd are great dogs. with early traning I think It would be a great dog. keep us updated if you get her.

Lexie answered on 6/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

Any dog can be the worst or the best dog. Some of it is the upbringing and some is the dog's early learning and some is the dog's personality. Two large breeds mixed together and both with serious health issues could mean the pups will have serious life shortening problems unless the owner has health checks on the parents. I would evaluate the woman and the puppy parents. Make sure the parents are healthy, no tummy trouble or allergies with no shyness or spookiness in the pups. Here is one puppy test.www.volhard.com Not saying a pup that isn't perfect won't work, just some stuff to consider.

And the fuzz will be amazing. Just amazing.

Sassy answered on 6/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kayak

They are both wonderful breeds. Start with training early. I would hire a personal one for some individual sessions where you can get started with basic home manners. Join a puppy group socialize him at every turn, and you'll have a wonderful addition to the family. He's gonna be big so he might need two laps to sit and watch tv with you. Congratulations I think it's great. Don't worry about the Poms they'll put him in his place.
Sounds to me like you'll be able to handle it all just fine. Read all you can about both and you'll have fun, picking out the characteristics of each breed as he grows and develops. That's what I love about mixed breeds, though at the moment I don't have any. I have a five year old and he grew up around my shepherds and my other large breeds, he learned how to respect them and they learned how to respect him. He is the safest kid in my neighborhood, as will be yours.
Have fun and good luck!

Kayak answered on 6/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Every breed has its good and bad lines. I highly doubt either parent has had hip and eye checks and may be too young for symptoms to show up. Still if both parents are living in a home as a pet, it may be as good of a risk as anything. One of the most important things is to get the puppy into your home by 7-8 weeks. Any dog that starts that early with a 5 year old will likely love her.

The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it then to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. For ways of safely socializing it, see www.apdt.com

I just love how someone who may have had a bad experience with a dog, generalizes the entire breed. St.Bernards are super sweet dogs and just like any dog, it has a personality and it may not get along with other dogs or may not like people all that much. That's just the roll of the dice with dogs. They didn't get the nickname "gentle giant" for nothing.
I had a GSD for many years and he was such a sweet boy to humans. Loved people(kids) and he didn't care one wit about other dogs. They just didn't seem to interest him.
I now have a Saint and he too is a total, total love bug. One of his favorite things to do is to go on walks and say "hi" to as many people as he can. He has some dog issues, but we're working on it.
If you were to adopt the puppy, you would have a dog w/two super smart breeds and should be easily trained. If you spend lots of time properly training the dog, exercising the dog and socializing the dog, all should be fine.

The german shepard is very good with kids younger dogs are a tad troublesom ...the St.Bernard is also a good dog with little kids I would trust my life to my dog but until you do watch the dog with your kids
-good luck

K-10 Von Canein

German shepherds are great with kids, and excellent protectors. Our 1 1/2 yr. old German Shepherd babysits our 2 year old child.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 7/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I grew up with a German Bernard. She was the best friend a child could have. She was sweet, smart, playful, and beautiful. I am currently looking for another one if you know anybody who has one, please do tell.