Holly Belle

Frontline Plus Dogs vs Frontline Plus Cats...

I have two inside cats and Holly Belle. I have read the ingredients for both Frontline Plus Dogs and Frontline Plus Cats. Seems strange to me that the second ingredient for both, (S) Methoprene is included in a higher percentage for cats than dogs. This ingredient is the growth inhibitor to prevent eggs/larvae from growing into adult fleas. It is 11.8% in the cat product, 8.8% in the dog product. Anyone have info on the difference? I would like to purchase one product at a time and use it on all three pets. Holly Belle is around 10 lbs. now so she should need the same dosage as either of my cats. Or, with a lower dose of (S) Methoprene in the dog product, I should be able to use that on my cats... Is this just a ploy to get us to purchase more product than we need???

Asked by Holly Belle on Mar 13th 2009 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

That sounds weird, if I'm remembering right, our vet even told us there is no difference between the dog and cat kinds except that is higher/lower in the amount. (Didn't say amount of what, I just assumed it was the amount of what you put on) I think it would be okay to use it on your dog. Maybe try using a little bit at a time instead of the whole thing at once to see if it causes any problems. I personally never use any flea preventative, because a. its really expensive (even at our cheap vet its about 40 bucks), b. it doesn't seem to work unless you don't have a problem with fleas anyway, and c. because its a poisionous pesticide that I don't want on my dog!
I don't know if you're interested, but you can buy apple cider vinegar (Less than a dollar from walmart lasts 6 months or more) and save a lot of money while keeping your dog healthier!
I think that most vets are just trying to get your money by insisting you buy the expensive medications and "better" food -science diet- .

Zackintosh CJ answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

You can purchase Frontline Spray and use it on both cats and dogs. I buy this because I have 9 dogs and 2 cats...and well let's face it, it is cheaper to buy one product for all. It works the same as the drops, you just part the hair give 1 squirt per pound and rub it in a little bit.....never had flea!! I don't really stick to the 1 squirt per pound, I just give the smaller dogs and the cats about 4 squirts and the big dogs 6-8, works fine, A bottle ( for the large bottle) is about 60.00 and will last me almost a year!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

PLEASE check with your vet before giving your dog human or cat meds or your cat human or dog meds!! I'm not trying to be nasty, but grave mistakes can be made by cross medicating without consulting a vet!

It could well be cats can withstand more of that ingredient than dogs. Never assume that your dog & cat can withstand the same chemicals, foods, etc. or in same quantities.

Cats & dogs are surprisingly different. Cats are Mammal/Feline/Felis catus. Dogs are Mammal/Canine/Canis lupus familiaris. They are no closer to each other in their classification than we are to either of them. Cats & dogs aren't in the same group until you go back to their class - Mammals. That doesn't even put them in the same ballpark!

Some things cats can ingest can kill dogs & visa-versa. Their food requirements are even different. A cat can’t even live on dog food for long without suffering. ALWAYS consult a vet before giving medicine (or anything) formulated for 1 animal to another animal!!

Lola Penelope

That is so strange! Before I had a dog I had 3 cats in a small apt, 2 of them was brought back to me after a year in Texas with flees! I was told to NEVER give my cats Dog flee treatment because it had something (or more of something) in it that would harm them, due to their cleaning habits. I never bothered to look at what the box said, never asked what they were talking about. It seems fishy that the kitty version has more Methoprene. I'm now very confused.

Lola Penelope answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi - I know this is not an answer to your question...but : I don't like to use the Frontline products at all. Many pets have had adverse reactons to the products. They are also toxic to the liver.

Here is some info on the products:
I try to go Natural and Safe...
Natural Flea control:
en.allexperts.com
source : all experts/ ask the Pet nurse.

Maggie

The front line is the same as for the dog and cat it goes by the weight of the cat or dog. the cat uses less then the dog. I buy mine at

Pet Care Prescription Medication – Guaranteed 5% lower than anyone else
Guaranteed lowest rate on Frontline and Frontline Plus
Free shipping on orders over $35

www.jdoqocy.com

I have 1 dog and 1 cat.
Hope this helps on the cost of Frontline or other meds

Maggie answered on 4/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The commonest infestation of both dogs and cats is...the cat flea. It has co-evolved to breed on cats, and is a very successful parasite, but will also bite other mammals, especially dogs and humans sharing the same environment. The cat flea is happiest and lays more eggs if living on a cat, rather than on a dog, whereas on a human, the flea hops on and off, often not biting at all, unless very hungry.

Since Methoprene affects the eggs and larvae, rather than the adult, it is sensible to target the commonest source of eggs and the habitat where the most larvae will develop - where the cat sleeps. The methoprene is fairly short lived compared to the fipronil, and is taken up by the flea as it is being killed by the fipronil, preventing any eggs it may lay before it dies from developing. Flea faeces and dead fleas in the cat's bedding (or the locality where the cat often sleeps) feed the flea larvae developing from eggs that have been dropped from fleas infesting the cat previously.