Tyson

found a stray dog outside..

I found a stray dog outside a few days ago in a friends neighborhood, It was sleeping in the woods in rain&30 degree weather. I look for him three times a day since im watching my friends dog&ive tried a few different times to lure him to me, he doesnt seem scared but he just gets up and walks away. i know the two spots hes always in so i left him a towel to sleep on, a bowl of water/pedialite mixed, and a small bowl of food. Hes veryyyyy skinny and emaciated. im hoping by him seeing im leaving him food everyday hell gain my trust and come to me but are there any other things i can do to get him to me? i obviously know the dangers of strays ive dealt with plenty &dont tell me to call the police or animal control, i know the procedure they take and in the end hell just be put down. My husband and i are completety willing to take him to care for him and get him healthy, we just need him to be able to come to us.

Asked by Tyson on Jan 25th 2013 Tagged stray in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I would try posting this on the health forum on this site. There are more people there to give advice. That's a good thing your willing to do. Good for you and good luck! :)

Rain

I would do just what you are doing. except try to be there when he is, with pieces of hot dogs for treats. toss a couple to him, gradually shortening the distance until he is close enough that you can slip a looped leash around his neck. don't pull it tight until he has eaten out of your hand. then slowly tighten the leash while still feeding him the treats. bam you got him. I have caughten many strays this way, and also the crate trick, which is an extremely long process. pawmail me if you have any questions/comments and/or how it worked because now im curious :P and I will get back to you. hope this trick helps, good luck! :D

Rain answered on 1/25/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer