Flea & tick season!

Hi, everyone! I want to know when flea & tick season starts? I know they stay around all year long, but you never see any in the Fall or Winter. It is almost Spring, and I haven't found one on my dog's. Since it has been a very cold year for us, I know that we aren't going to have as many. But, if you could tell me when the flea & tick season comes around, then that would be great!

Thanks, have a great day!

Asked by Howard on Mar 13th 2010 Tagged fleas, ticks, season in Worms & Parasites

Best Answer

Petri

Ask your local vet on what they recommend for your area.... some states say to treat all year round and others say to treat Spring-Fall. I usually feel when it starts to rain and/or you are getting standing water it is definitely time to start treating!! This website offers an Organic, Non-Toxic Bug Spray you can check out. Always nice to have it on hand whether or not you are using other treatment methods: www.mypetfection.com. Look for Bug Spray under the Sprays section.

Petri answered on Mar 15th.

Answers

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN)

Some places it is year round. Other places, like where I live, it doesn't start until lat April/early May. Totally depends on where you live.

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN) answered on 3/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Good question I just thought of this the other day.
I think I am going to start up some preventatives if we have another week of warm weather.
I usually go by the two or three weeks of good solid warm ups. And then I don't know last week I seen a mosquito getting in the house. So I think one more day of 60's I am going to go to the heart worm tablets.
I got winter here too. I stop the stuff in December. I had ticks up to November and there was snow on the ground. My doggies hate them ! :)

I think spring is coming early...WOOHOO..so Deogie will start his preventive the end of March. When the ground thaws and no more frost he gets his monthly dose. I like to start it before fleas have a chance to rehome on my pets.
Can't wait for summer...bring it on.

We find fleas and ticks on dogs we groom all Winter long and we live in NH with snow and freezing weather. As soon as the snow melts off the ground the ticks start to show up on my own dogs.
However, around here it seems like everyone goes crazy with preventatives and all as soon as the snow melts, then they slack off and all the dogs are infested with fleas during August and September when the owners aren't treating them anymore.