Finacky eating Maltese

I have tried several dry foods, she eats for a couple of days, then stops eating it. She was eating baby carrots as snacks and has stopped eating them. I don't mind cooking her food..she looka like she has lost weight.

Asked by Member 1093022 on Sep 1st 2012 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Giuseppeino (Peppi)

Hi! Me and my brother Mocha are like this. We would eat the dry food as soon as you buy it for a couple of days then stop, too! So, what my owner does is, give me the dog healthy table scraps, meat, chicken, etc. Never once have we not eaten that. We would eat anything with human food in it. You can also try wet dog food, to mix in with the dry, but my owner never gives us just wet because it is supposed to be bad for our teeth. If neither of these strategies work, try making your own dog food. There are plenty of recipes online or in books. We ate this plenty of times, too! I hoped I helped you! Woof!

Giuseppeino (Peppi) answered on 9/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Okay, first, please get her checked by a vet. I am assuming this is a psychological problem, but if it's physical, my advice won't work, so make sure first.
So...
This looks like a classic case of picky eating. She stops eating whatever you give her because every time she does this, you bring out something new and different to try, so it pays to refuse food! If you start cooking for her, adding table scraps or wet food, etc, the cycle will probably just continue, she will refuse more and more things, and you'll be stuck.

So... you have to be tough. Decide what food she is going to eat, and that's it. No snacks, no treats. Put the food down for 20 minutes, if she doesn't eat, pick it up, and no food until next meal. Give her two mealtimes per day, so she can work up a real appetite.

Even if she refuses food for a day or two, that's okay for most healthy dogs. Whatever you do, don't break down and give her goodies- then she's won the battle!