Everytime we say goodbye to each other my Jack Russell becomes aggressive

My 17 year old grand-son is sitting on lounge, my Jack Russell at the other end. I go to give my grand-son a kiss and hug goodbye and my dog runs up to my grand-son and nearly attacks me. I back away, we laugh and I tell dog to get down, then I continue on my way out.. The 4 year old girl belonging to my daughter's friend, goes up to say good bye to my dog and he snaps at her and almost bites her finger (this time he was in my arms)

Asked by Member 1148112 on Jan 4th 2013 Tagged justtelldogtogetdown, behaviourproblem, mentalproblem in Behavior & Training

Answers

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

seems to me you have some behavioral issues there. you need to go to a behaviorist to fix this. online forums won't. i get a feeling there is a whole lot more to the story than you can describe here.

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 1/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sputnik

Sounds to me like whenever someone needs to say goodbye to someone, the dog needs to be put into a different room, unless you do want to consult a behaviorist.

Sputnik answered on 1/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Good lord. You don't need a behaviorist for this. You need training. You have a spoiled brat of a dog. You allow the behavior & laugh, which encourages the behavior to continue. Behaviour that is reinforced is likely to re-occur..that is a basic principle of learning theory. Now the dog is snapping at toddlers, & you could lose the dog if he makes contact.
Basics..crate training, a place command, no dog on couch, obedience training, preventing dog from practicing the resource guarding.
How did the kid approach you..slowly, or quickly? Why were you holding the dog..you put him in a situation many dogs feel uncomfortable in, & then do not allow an avenue to escape.
Please find a good, positive trainer. Enroll in classes.
Post in B&T for more specific advice

Ikan

We had a collie mix years ago that was very protective. he thought when someone was hugging someone else, he would growl and get in between the two people to get them apart. He would never bite, but just wanted everyone to be nice to each other and felt the hug was hurting someone. Your case is a bit more serious, I also think the best thing is to put him in another room or do some training where you tell him no if he starts to get mad.

Ikan answered on 1/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer