dry flaky skin, and large amounts of hair loss

My elderly dog was having black sores or scabs that would come off and sometimes would bleed a little bit. Her skin is very dry & flaky & hair is falling out in tuffs with skin attached. She was biting at one of the sores/scabs, but has stopped. Her bed, the floor and just all over the house is just covered with her fur/skin, even if I vacuum everyday. When you pet her, dry, flaky skin and hair comes out very bad. She has been seen for this and will see the Dr again soon, but it seems the only conclusion so far is that it is not fungal or mange(Thank God! We Are clean people!) but what could it possibly be?? The Dr gave me a benzoyl peroxide shampoo & malaseb concentrate to use on her. The sores/scabs went away but the skin & hair is falling out with no end in sight. She is about to get an oatmeal bath to help soothe her skin.
She is a rescue corgi(mix?) who came to us w/ heartworms, but Dr got rid of them. We love her immensely, please help!!

Asked by Member 799116 on Jan 31st 2009 Tagged skin, hair, loss, excessive in Skin Problems

Answers

Nehbey

Have you had her blood tested? Some endocrine disorders (such as hypothyroidism) can have dermatological manifestations. Older dogs are more likely to have endocrine disorders so this could be a possibility. If I am not mistaken, benzoyl peroxide shampoos are very drying which can make her even more "flaky."

Nehbey answered on 1/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Once you have ruled out an illness/medical condition, switch food. Many of todays health problems can be attributed to nutrition (or lack of). I always recommend what we feed (Laughing Dog Holistic dog food) as we have seen the difference/benefits from this food. I know several people feeding this food and they too are extremely pleased with it.

Rocky

My Chihuahua had scales or patches of seborherra on the edges of his ears and then hair lose on his abdomen.
My vet first ruled out any mange or skin disease. Then gave me Sebolux shampoo by Virbac. I treated the scales daily for a week., and bathed him once a week for 2 wks. It got rid of the patches and his hair has grown back within 30 days.. This shampoo is very similar to human Selsun Blue but prescription strength. He was just shedding skin cells too fast. He might have episodes again or never. Just a watch and wait now. Hope this helps.

Rocky answered on 2/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer