dogs gums black around teeth

Asked by Member 557624 on Jan 13th 2008 in Home Grooming

Best Answer

Many dogs (including myself) have black pigmented gums. Not sure if this is what your question is about, but given the lack of detail regarding your question, it's the best I can do.

answered on Jan 13th.

Answers

Brenda the Lion

Dog´s gums have black parts because of a pigment called melanin. This melanin in humans can be found in birth marks, moles and freckles. If you are concerned of your dog´s oral health be sure to brush his teeth regularly if he is eating kibble or canned food. If your dog is on a raw diet, the bones will help cleaning the tartar from the teeth. Dogs are prone to suffer gingivitis, specially smaller breeds and this looks like red swollen gums rather that just a bit darker than the rest as you mention. The smell is foul, the gums bleed a bit and the teeth can be somewhat mobile. I would not be concerned about the darker areas of the gum, this are normal features.

Brenda the Lion answered on 1/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer