Caffrey

Dogs and Guinea Pigs?

Hi. I'm thinking of getting a little guinea pig (would be 8-10 weeks old) and would like to hear from those with experience with Dogs living with a Guinea Pig.

Because Caffrey is a terrier would his natural instinct be to catch, and kill, it? He's never chased any animal before when off lead.

Of course, the guinea pig would never be left unsupervised with Caffrey and we would probably keep it's hutch/cage upstairs where Caffrey very rarely goes to prevent stress.

I would like to be able to handle the guinea pig without shutting Caffrey out of the room. I would hate for him to feel neglected, or jealous. I would love to be able to feel confident enough to let it have a bit of playtime on the ground with Caffrey around, if possible, too.

Asked by Caffrey on Mar 22nd 2008 Tagged guineapigs in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Juno

It depends on how well your dog listens to you and how his prey drive works.

I have no problem with my dog, my cat, and the guinea pig while the pig is in the cage. In the beginning, if one of them looked at or into the cage for more than a second, they got a quick noise or tap from me to snap them out of it and then they got the picture and were on their way. Nowadays, they're definitely at ease with the fact that an animal in a cage is off limits. (I've had a bird too.)

If Caffrey has never chased an animal when off lead, then you might get to the point where you can have the pig out of the cage with the dog in the room (only under your supervision, of course). Train slowly. Make sure the dog isn't fixating on the pig while it's in the cage. When you take the pig out, ask for space from Caffrey, and reward him when he ignores the pig.

Good luck, and enjoy your new pet!

Juno answered on Mar 22nd.

Answers

Well, first maybe you should have him meet it while it's in it's cage. If he seems okay with that, then try holding it in front of him. If he seems okay with that, then I wouldn't worry.
However, I would not put the guinea pig on the floor with Caffrey around.

Dudley

**I have a sister, she is a rat. Now don't get me wrong, but I'd love a chance to eat her. Even though I am aware that mom loves my sister, but you know I just have this thing that screams "catch it." When mom holds Bubonic I don't mess with her, but if I see Bubonic alone that is a different story. **

For the guinea's protection, how about getting a HUGEst, like the biggest plastic bubble you can? or a play pen for the guinea, much like a ferret pen. Guinea pigs can't jump so it can be relatively short.

Terriers do have a thing for small game, and guinea's do fit the bill for that, I would just be sure that Caffrey knows that this kritter is not something to eat. They need to be able to get to know each other and always be supervised.

Guinea's are awesome kritters! If mom didn't already have Bubonic she would have guinea pigs. They talk you know! :)

Good Luck

Dudley answered on 3/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC

It depends on your dog. Risa is generally afraid of my two cavies. However, if I am holding them, she is very interested in them. I never EVER put them on the floor when Risa is out as she instantly goes into stalk mode. If I set a piggy next to Ris, she wants to run away from them.

I do not leave them together unsupervised. Just too risky. However, Risa has access to their cage 24/7. It has a cover over it and she has never tried to get at the piggies through it.

I think as long as you are cautious and take certain precautions, you should be fine having a widdle piggy in the house. :)

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC answered on 3/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cocoa Bean

We've had G.P.even before we started having dogs.I'll tell you about my experience.We always have them in caged areas because of the neighbor's cats and of course wild opossums.The first dogs we had were Chis and of course they go play in the backyard when the G.P. are uncaged but NEVER without supervision.Our biggest Chi just sniffs their bums and leaves,practically ignores them, but the tiny Chi plays and chases them.None of my G.P.have been bitten or harmed by the dogs.Now,the Labrador has a different point of view when it comes to the GP.She likes to go to the cage and is mesmerized by the GP,she follows them 360 degrees around the cage to sniff it.She has jumped inside the cage when the lid is off but never harmed the GP.She is a Retriever and Iam sure she is dying to put a GP in her mouth and play a little. All of them love to sniff and eat the poops!I think you have to decide based on the breed, size and temperament of your dog.Ask yourself, can Caffrey play nice w/tiny ones?

Cocoa Bean answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

RIP Cleo METTRENA  Scruffy Dev

I wish my humom would buy me a gp, or a rabbit, or a squirrel...I get tired of chasing my food around the yard and really prefer a domestic raised raw food.

My dumb mate Joe just likes to bark at fish, he is so dumb. We don't even like to EAT fish so what's the point in expending so much energy?

RIP Cleo METTRENA Scruffy Dev answered on 3/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer