Dog won't stop peeing on floors

I have a 5 year old Chihuahua. She has never been reliably housetrained. I can't seem to get through to her!
My other chihuahua is now a senior, and was a puppymill survivor and it took over a year to housetrain her but she's rock-solid trained (unless she gets sick).

This one, however, potties in the house all the time. I'm at my wits end. She's taken out regularly and praised for going outside. She's spayed. She's seen a vet and has no medical issues we've found. I fostered dogs for a couple of years, so I'm not a novice at this...I've tried everything I know. I've even given her potty-pads to go in the house (after giving up)and she'll use them regularly but ALSO go everywhere else in the house. She's a houdini, so baby gates don't work. Other than kenneling her all day, what else can I do?? My roommates want me to get rid of her, and I can't blame them...she's ruining their house! She's also very aggressive to any strangers, so that's not an option. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 1141270 on Nov 18th 2012 Tagged potty, floors, peeing in House Soiling

Answers

How many times a day does she go out? I would crate train her. It's really easy to potty train them that way. Take her outside. If she doesn't go potty, put her in the crate. Take her back out in an hour. If she goes, make a huge deal out of it and give her a treat. She just earned 1 hour of freedom. If she doesn't go, she goes back in the crate. Repeat this until she gets the message which will be a cue to go out. It could be very subtle, like standing at the door, a whine, or just sitting in front of you staring at you. I would also, limit her access to the entire house. She has to earn that too. When she earns freedom, only allow her in one or two rooms. It's much easier to keep an eye on them that way. Good Luck!